12

WILL POV

*Flashback*

"It was a seven."

"Huh?" Mike asked.

"The roll, it was a seven... the demogorgon, it got me."

He just looked at me and nodded faintly.

"See you tomorrow," I pedaled off.

"What was that about?" y/n asked me when I caught up to the rest of the party.

"I just told him the truth about the dice," I replied.

"Wise and noble," they giggled.

I smiled.

*·°·*·°·*·°·*·°·*·°·*·°·*

But I wished I hadn't. Because I had nothing to smile about. Not when I was about to lose everything. I wished I hadn't told the truth about the dice. I wished I hadn't made plans to call y/n. I wished that my future self was there to tell me not to go home, to stay somewhere else, maybe that playground down the block or maybe even back to Mike's house.

But that was a stupid thing to wish. Because I couldn't go back. I was stuck, I was scared, and was all alone.

I had been hiding all day. I was lost; I was someplace that looked just like home, only it wasn't. It was dark all the time, and it was scary, and it had an odd smell.

I ran all the way to my house, hoping that somebody would be there, but there wasn't.

I tried the phone, but no one answered, just the sound of the line continuously ringing. I sighed and snuck out the back door and walked back to shed. That's where I woke up. Whatever took me, it came through the wall of the shed.

But I couldn't find a way out.

There was no portal, no tunnel, no hole to crawl through. I was stuck here. I traced my fingers along the exterior of the shot gun on the table. I shuddered at the thought of what happened, the hair on the back of my neck clinging to my sweaty skin.

I sighed again and decided that this was my best defense against the monster. I loaded the gun and placed it on the safety setting.

I walked back outside and realised that it was now raining. I grabbed a flashlight from the shed and walked toward the woods. I wanted to sleep. I wanted to wake up from this nightmare hoping to be in my bed, Jonathan making breakfast and Mom frantically looking for her car keys.

I trudged all the way over to Castle Byers, but when I got there, I discovered I wasn't the only one. There was a bike posted against the side of Castle Byers and a light coming from inside.

I pulled back the sheet and tiptoed inside where there was someone asleep in the corner. They wore a green jacket, with the hood pulled over their head. There was a green and yellow duffel bag sitting next to them lap that read "I ♥︎ Hawkins" in big white and yellow bubble letters.

I reached out to pull the hood off of the intruder, hoping to reveal their identity, but they were faster.

They jumped up and tackled me to the ground. They pinned me down and I realized that they had a knife, which was now inches away from my neck.

"Wait! Please don't kill me... please," I pleaded.

I could see their eyes soften.

"Will?"

"Y/n?"

They got up and backed away quickly, dropping their pocket knife on the ground. Their face was both confused and happy. Then they ran towards me, wrapping their arms around me tightly. I just stood there for a moment before hugging them back. Once y/n pulled away they looked at me panicked.

"I am so sorry, I thought you were that monster or something," y/n rambled on.

"It's okay..."

"Wait! You're here, you're alive!" they exclaimed shaking me by the shoulders. "Oh my gosh I was beginning to think that I would never see you again."

Y/n said that last part with a shy smile on their face, which made me smile too.

"Yeah.... wait, why are you here? How are you here?" I walked closer to them, picking up the pocket knife and placing it back in their hand.

"The monster got me in the wood on the edge of Mirkwood. That's where I figured you went missing and decided to look for you."

I rubbed the back of my neck and smiled at them.

"You came looking for me?"

"Yeah, of course! I mean there was a whole search party being formed at the police station."

"Oh..."

"Yeah and when I got there, the guys said they we- oh shit!"

Y/n dropped to the ground and shuffled through the stuff in their bag.

"Dustin... Mike... Lucas?"

They waited a bit and when nothing happened, they started to run around the room frantically.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"T-the others were coming to look for you with me. But then I was a-attacked and I... I couldn't radio them and tell them to go back. I mean there's no point in all if us being stuck here!"

"Hey, it's okay... I'm sure they're fine. They're not here as far as we know and that..." I said gesturing to their walkie, "won't even work down here... I've tried."

They nodded and walked past me, picking up a picture of me and the guys.

"You guys are cute," they said, making me blush.

"Uh yeah, that was the Elder Tree campaign. Nancy took the picture."

"Must've been fun."

We both laughed and y/n looked around the fort, taking it all in.

"It's nice... Castle Byers."

"Thanks. It's like my safe place, where I go to be alone or-"

Y/n's face twisted up.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I can leave if yo-"

"No, it's okay, really. I actually like that you're here. Besides, it's pouring out there, you really should stay."

Y/n nodded, and we sat down talking about everything we could think of. It was at that moment that I realized a certain truth: y/n was one of the few people in the world that made me feel completely safe.