Chapter 6

A few days later, Celine and Elliot stuffed their luggage in the trunk of Ashton's new car and said goodbye to the old apartment. Celine knew she wouldn't miss the neighborhood with it's bad luck and  dark alleyways. There was nothing of importance here. Just old memories that plagued her mind with failure and pain.

She sat beside Ashton in the front passengers' seat and Elliot made himself comfortable in the back. She mentally released the burdens of the past five years as the car pulled off the street and sped into the road. It was time to welcome a new beginning.

"Imagine working hard for a company only to be thrown out without the slightest thought," said Elliot. "I'm sorry to say this Celine, but your life is quite unlucky."

"I thought we were going to be nicer to each other," Celine said.

"I'm not saying my life is any better," said Elliot. "My parents sent me to live with my jobless older sister who's moving in with a strange guy. Mine kind of sucks as well."

"We're not moving in with him," said Celine. "We'll be renting a house with the little savings I have."

"In a neighborhood we know nothing about," Elliot said.

Celine sighed. "Try to be a little mature about this. Or better yet, get a job."

"You could make me your assistant," said Elliot. "I'll help you design trendy cheetah-print leggings."

Celine rolled her eyes. It was going to be a long car ride.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were reaching the outer edges of the city when Ashton asked if they wanted something to drink.

"No thanks," said Elliot. "I'm gonna take a nap." He leaned back into the chair and closed his eyes.

Celine accepted the cold black liquid that Ashton handed to her. "What is it?" she asked, taking a sip. It left a sweet but sour taste on her tongue.

"Tea," said Ashton. "It's what the town is most famous for. My mom made it."

"Does your mom live in the neighborhood?"

Ashton nodded. "You'll get to meet her."

Celine spent the rest of the car ride looking out the window at the endless road and trees until she eventually fell asleep. When she opened her eyes again, they had already arrived at their destination. The gravel pavement had disappeared in favor of a smooth dirt road that led to open fields and a capacious sky.

A large yellow sign stuck out of the ground, reading "Welcome To Lightwood." The car continued down until they reached a tall brick wall. A woman dressed in white overalls walked out to meet them and Ashton rolled down his window to greet her. The woman spoke with Ashton for a few minutes, eyeing Celine and Elliot with a glint of suspicion. Celine looked out the side of her window, avoiding the woman's piercing gaze.

Ashton whispered something into the woman's ear and her face burst into a bright smile. "We're very glad to have you here," she said to Celine and Elliot. "You are our honored guests."

Celine looked at her and nodded weakly. She didn't know what to say to this strange woman and wasn't quite sure what it meant to be an "honored guest."

The woman went back to the wall and returned with a document and a clipboard. "First read the rules and regulations," she said. "Then please sign at the bottom."

Ashton received the document through the window and handed it to Celine. "Hurry up and sign."

She held the document gingerly, weighing it against her palm. "Is this necessary?" she asked. Stacey had never mentioned having to sign anything.

"It's necessary if you want to get inside," Ashton said. "Stacey's project is pretty confidential, so this is to prevent something from getting leaked."

The rules and regulations were pretty simple. She had to be kind and respect the other members of the town and participate in the community's weekly events. The project was also not allowed to be mentioned outside of the town. Celine didn't know what it felt like to belong to a larger group, but spending time with others and gaining new experiences didn't sound like such a bad idea.

She signed the document.

The woman smiled and accepted the clipboard from her, her eyes flicking down to the paper. "Welcome to the community."

She went back to her station and pressed a contraption that opened the gates of the wall. As Ashton drove through, Celine couldn't help taking one last look at the winding road behind.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The neighborhood consisted of tall grass and hanging trees that masked the rauchyness of the thick forest. People sat in groups under the shade of the foliage, socializing and avoiding the harsh rays of the sun. There were a couple of small farms with crops and domesticated animals, giving it a rustic aura, but off in the distance were the tall buildings of a bustling city.

The car eventually stopped in front of a small brick house that rose beside a vegetable garden. The house's shuttered windows and flowered porch made it look welcoming and attractive. Celine could spot an identical looking building sitting only a few meters away.

She and Elliot lifted their luggage out of the trunk and stood in front of the house.

"What do you think?" asked Ashton.

"Not bad considering neither of us have jobs," Elliot replied.

Ashton ignored him and turned to Celine. "Have you told your parents that you've moved? They might be worried."

"We can't," Elliot said. "They're in the jungles of Central America where there's no phone connection. We'll just have to wait for them to call us first."

Ashton nodded then checked his watch. He laid a hand on Celine's shoulder. "It's getting late so I'll introduce you to the community members tomorrow. Then you'll have a meeting with Stacey."

"Thank you," said Celine. "I'm not sure what I would have done without your help."

Ashton grinned and looked into her eyes. "No problem. It's the least I can do for you."

Celine's cheeks grew red and her heart beat faster than it had a moment ago. Ashton grinned, noticing her reaction. He gave her a small wave before stepping into his car, a thin cloud of dust signalling his departure.

Her eyes followed the car until it was a single black dot in the horizon. The questions that had been flaring through her mind had quickly died down, replaced by the warm feeling of contentment. Although her life was now in shambles there was still hope. Not just hope that things would return to the way they were, but hope that they could become better than before.

She snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Elliot call out for her as he dragged his suitcase into the house. Celine lifted her own bags and followed him inside.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that afternoon, Celine and Elliot were sitting on the porch of the house when a tall figure approached them from the neighboring house. The figure wore a simple outfit of jeans and a white T-shirt, striding towards them in large steps.

Celine's first instinct was to figure out how to ward them off, but remembered that she was no longer in the city. Lightwood seemed relatively safe. Especially because of the rules and regulations document.

Elliot squinted into the distance and the thin shadow of recognition fell over his face. "Jeffrey?"