Meet the Parents

Pete scanned the park from the gazebo stage

Pete scanned the park from the gazebo stage. Good thing he had already put down his picnic blanket and basket. Spaces were filling up, but there was still no sign of Chasten. 

What if he had changed his mind? Maybe being around someone in the public eye was too much for him. Was him being a politician going to be a bigger problem than he realized?

Just then Pete saw a man in the distance waving and smiling at everyone he passed. 

That smile!  It was what had caught his attention that first time he saw Chasten's photo online. The guy loved people and it showed. And people were loving him right back.

Pete chuckled as Chasten stopped to pet every dog, always greeting their owners first. A group of small children ran up to him, but instead of getting annoyed Chasten knelt down and chatted with them, giving his complete attention. He was probably a great teacher. 

He would be a great dad too. Pete's heart nearly burst at the thought of raising children with this man.

He froze. Whoa! Slow down, sport. It's only your second date.

As if feeling Pete's eyes on him, Chasten turned and his smile grew wider, if that was even possible. Pete smiled back and waved. He had smiled more in the last week than he had in his entire adult life. Every time he thought of Chasten's eyes or holding his hand or his sweet soft kisses...

"Hey!" Chasten greeted as he walked up.

Pete cleared his throat. "Hi! Glad you could make it!"

"Did I miss your speech?"

"Were you trying to?" Pete asked, only half joking.

Chasten grimaced. "Caught me."

Pete's face fell. "Listen, if it's going to be too hard being with someone like me, I'd much rather know now before things get too serious between--"

"Peter?"

"Hm?"

"I was just kidding."

"Oh."

"You're really worried about this aren't you?"

Pete nodded. "I like you. A lot."

"Then have no fear. The Glezman is here."

"The Glezman?"

"Not into nicknames?"

"You really want me to call you 'The Glezman'?"

Chasten gave him a dubious look. "Now that you've said it out loud a couple times, I'm gonna go with 'No'."

"Whew!" Pete grinned. He wasn't used to joking around with people like this, usually too serious for his own good. "I'm really glad you're here." 

After Pete welcomed everyone to the community picnic, he joined Chasten on a blanket for cold fried chicken and potato salad. He had just taken a bite of chicken when he nearly choked. He managed to swallow the food but started coughing uncontrollably. 

His parents were headed straight for them!

Chasten dropped his plate. "Are you okay? Are you choking? I know the Heimlich Maneuver! Just nod if you need help!"

Pete shook his head and managed to get his breathing under control. "I apologize now for anything embarrassing that may be said in the next two seconds."

"O-kay?" Chasten looked confused.

"Hello, boys!"

Pete scrambled to his feet and kissed his mom on the cheek and put an arm around his dad. "Hey, guys! Chasten, these are my parents." He held his breath and prayed for strength.

Chasten stood. "A pleasure to meet you both." Chasten held out his hand. His dad shook it, but his mom threw her arms around him.  "Oh! Okay! Thank you for the hug, Mrs. Buddha-judge!"

"Good job on the pronunciation," Mr. Buttigieg said to Pete.

"Please call me Anne. Or Mom." She beamed as she patted Chasten's cheeks.

"Mom!" Pete gasped. The blood drained from his face. "I'm so sorry."

Chasten laughed.

He gave Chasten a half grin.