Chapter 7 - Salted Caramel Chocolates

"What do you get out of this?" Charred asked

I buttoned up my shirt and looked over my shoulder. "Revenge. I told you that. What do you get out of this?"

I get your interest, Charred. As if he'd be interested in helping if I didn't do this.

"I get off," he chuckled.

I abandoned my shirt and turned around halfly. "Really? That's all you want from this?"

"What else should I want? We're already doing business with each other. This is a nice perk." He put his arm behind his head and smiled at me. "Look, you're what... twenty years old?"

"Twenty-one."

"Yeah, and I'm closer to thirty than twenty. You're young, and you're very pretty. What can I say? I'm all for vanity."

I snorted and shook my head. "I think you're the first to ever sleep with me just because you think I'm pretty. Everyone does it to gain something. Notoriety. Fame. Fortune." I met his gaze. "A country."

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but what we're doing in bed has fuckall to do with what I want to achieve." He shrugged a shoulder and then wiggled, getting more comfortable.

"Consider my bubble burst," I snorted.

He sat up and walked on his knees over to me, draping his arms around me. "Don't think I'm not getting anything out of this though. I am." His hands ran over my chest and started undoing the buttons again. I leaned back against him and sighed contently.

"I'm definitely getting something out of this," he breathed in my ear.

"I can't stay," I said.

"Why? You have nowhere else to be."

"He'll be suspicious if I'm not back by the time he is."

"So? Fuck him." He unbuttoned the last button and slid my shirt off me.

Goosebumps spread across my skin, and I tipped my head back, resting it on his shoulder as he kissed my throat.

"He doesn't own you. You need to set some boundaries. I bet their revolution doesn't stand or fall with you being in your chambers at the right time or not."

"You try telling him that." I leaned forward, out of Charred's grasp. "You don't know what they did to me while I was in that room."

"No. I don't." He sighed deeply and put his hand on my shoulder. "Sorry, that was insensitive of me."

I turned towards him and nodded. "Let's just... Not talk." I leaned forward and kissed him, silencing him.

" I leaned forward and kissed him, silencing him