Chapter Two

Excerpt from Unthinkable, The Novel:

“Tell me you will love me forever.” She cried out desperately to her grey-eyed lover before she would be hauled off to an atrocious execution. 

“I'll love you forever my dear. Eternity cannot express how another will never be able to touch my soul as you have done.” Tears sprang from her chocolate colored eyes. Why did the world have to be so malicious? So closed-minded? Just because she was a negro and he was white they could never be together. He brought his lips upon hers in a haste, her love routinely responded to him. Two sets of tears mixed as they shared what could be their last kiss. Slowly their lips parted. She breathed heavily while looking into the very eyes that captivated her the first time she bore into them. A slight smile played across her full lips.

“I hope our child is a boy…he would be just as handsome as you” She said in a voice that she could barely recognize. 

“Yes my love, and he would have your spirit.” His eyes darted around the cabin that had been there safe haven for the past year. Everything seemed to be falling into place, until his once betrothed went back to the town and spread filthy rumors about his love. Her jealousy got the best of her, simply because he could not love her and never would. His heart would always belong to his ebony beauty. The quaint thing about this ordeal is that once upon a time, his love and his bethrothed were friends. Against what the world thought they were as close as friends could get, that is, until he stated where his affection lay. 

The sound of dogs barking brought them out the reality they made together. 

If only he could escape with her to Paris…

****

“That’s it! I’m done reading this book for now.” Vanessa exclaimed throwing the book down on Olivia’s bed before hoping off the bed to go to her own room. 

“What’s wrong with it?” Olivia yelled from her desk, pausing on typing her paper. Vanessa came back into the room with a bag of cheddar chips in her hand. She shrugged lazily.

“It’s too intense, their love is so strong, but she is going to die in the end because of the color of her skin. Not to mention that she is pregnant. That’s just too much going on.”

“Wait, they are an interracial couple?” Olivia’s eyes sparked with interest. Vanessa simply nodded her head. 

“I’ve always wanted to be with a black guy” Olivia exclaimed almost dreamily, Vanessa in turned let out a hefty laugh. A loud knock came on Olivia’s door. Vanessa turned towards Olivia rising her right eyebrow. 

“You expecting company?”

“I know you are in there open the door! I have food!” A demanding yet soft voice yelled from the other side of the door. Vanessa laughed and once again jumped down from Olivia’s bed. Running to open the door Vanessa put a big smile on her face.

“Kennedy!” She yelled while opening the door. Kennedy Jacobs was a fellow team mate as well as one of Vanessa’s best friends. She really didn’t like Olivia because she claimed that she was too spoiled, and on more than one occasion has stated that to Olivia’s face. They put up with each other for the sake of Vanessa. Kennedy who Vanessa loved to call Ken just to irritate her, Kennedy was a tall 5’10, Her chocolate skin always glowed from her inner peace and joy. She had big green eyes which made her the talk of the campus when she first got to Savannah State. Now in her senior year, she was starting her Student-Teaching program. 

“Don’t yell at me like that and move out the way this stuff is heavy girl!” Vanessa giggled but moved to the side so that Kennedy could come in. 

“So Ken what did you bring us?” Vanessa asked.

“Hello Olivia” Kennedy greeted with utter disdain.

“Kennedy” Olivia responded. Vanessa let out a long sigh which signaled for the two to clean up their act. Kennedy waved her hand in the air dismissing Olivia and her attitude. Her short black hair was spiked in a cute hairstyle. Suddenly Olivia got excited and hopped out of her chair.

“Vanessa!” She exclaimed

“What Livvy?” She responded tearing into a piece of pepperoni pizza that Kennedy bought. 

“My brother is throwing a party tonight you know since we won and they won their track met. We should go!” Vanessa look towards Kennedy just shrugged her shoulders indicating she didn’t care either way. If it was a track team party that means her boyfriend James would be there, she knew she absolutely had to be there. The groupies always went into over drive when any male sports team won a game. 

“Alright I guess we are going then!” Vanessa stated heading towards her room to get ready.

“Oh my goodness Vanessa, Gabriel is going to be there! Maybe tonight will be my lucky night. After all these years he will finally be mine.” She said giggling at the mention of Gabriel’s name. She wanted to forget the butterflies he gave her with his blue eyes. “Get a grip on it nessa, he’s just some white guy” She tried to rationalize with herself. Now that she knew for a fact that one of her closest friends liked him, she definitely had to check those raging hormones. Kennedy followed behind Vanessa until they got to her room. Kennedy quickly closed and locked Vanessa’s connecting door. 

“What’s wrong Kennedy?” Kennedy sat on Vanessa’s bed. Her face looked as if she were in deep thought. 

“I don’t trust her.” She simply responded. Vanessa rolled her eyes.

“Can we not get into this tonight? Please? Just for my sake, let tonight be fun.” Kennedy shrugged her shoulders, even though she could not shake the churning feeling in her stomach that told her something bad was going to happen. Kennedy's gut-feelings were never wrong. 

“Okay. I will be nice about it. But, let me warn you. That girl is spoiled and I know if she doesn’t get what she has been pining after all these years she will show her true colors, the ones you are too blind to see.” Vanessa, slightly offended crossed her arms against her chest.

“What are you talking about?”

“Gabriel?” Kennedy replied. Vanessa’s face mirrored that of a deer in the head lights. 

“What do you mean Gabriel?! He isn’t anybody, just the guy who came to fix my sink.” She spat defensively. 

“So, that’s exactly why you were whispering his name in your sleep when we were on our way to Alabama for our game?” Kennedy wore a smug smile knowing she had cornered Vanessa. 

“Well…it doesn’t matter. He is just some white guy that Olivia is in love with. They grew up together and plus…he’s white. Nope. I don’t even consider it a possibility.” Vanessa said walking off to her closet. 

“Whatever you say love. We’ll see how tonight goes. Call me when you are ready to leave.” Before Vanessa could respond Kennedy was already out the door leaving her to her own thoughts of Gabriel. 

“I hope tonight runs smoothly”