3 Words

Summary: Steve says I love you

Requested by: Sebby_Winchester

Steve and Bucky have been dating for almost a year and he's just been so comfortable whenever he was around Bucky. So it just felt natural and right to him to say "I love you." But Bucky didn't say anything back, instead, he just gave Steve a smile and kissed the top of his head.

Ever since then, Steve couldn't stop thinking about it. The thought consumed his mind 24/7, about how Bucky may not even feel the same way. It didn't sit right with him knowing that Bucky might not have any feelings for Steve at all. It just left an uneasy feeling.

A few weeks later, they got a call for a mission, but lately, Steve's been distracted with the thought still running around his mind. Nevertheless, he still went. All he had to do was rescue hostages. What could go wrong? Bucky was outside with his gun making sure no one came in while Steve was in there.

Steve cautiously walked in and started untying the hostages that's when he heard footsteps. He saw the guy trying to get away. He threw his shield knowing it'll hit him, but for some reason it didn't. It bounced off the wall and hit him square in the face letting the bad guy get away.

"God damnit Steve, you had one job. You just had to get distracted." He criticized himself under his breath.

As the bad guy was running outside, Bucky shot him in the leg which stopped him from getting away. He quickly rushed over to the guy to handcuff him. Then went to see if Steve was okay.

"Steve!" Bucky came racing to his side. "Are you okay? What happened?" He helped him sit up and examined the bump on his forehead. "I tried throwing my shield, but I didn't aim it right and it hit me instead."

"But you never miss. What's going on? You've been really distracted lately." Steve lightly scoffed,"Well maybe it's 'cause my boyfriend didn't say 'I love you' back to me."

"That's what's been keeping you distracted?" Bucky asked, feeling a bit guilty. "I just kept thinking you had doubts about us. Or doubts about your feelings for me."

"Look, Steve, I do love you. I love you so much. The reason why I didn't say I love you back is because... I was scared. Every relationship I've been in and I said 'I love you', it has always gotten me heartbroken and being left for some other guy. So I just thought, if I didn't say it, you wouldn't leave me. I just couldn't even bear the thought of you leaving me. I'm sorry I didn't say it darling."

Steve gave him a reassuring smile. "Don't be sorry. I understand. Look, I'm not those guys okay? Anyone who leaves you is beyond stupid. I want you to know, I will never leave alright? I'm here to stay by your side through thick and thin. Til the end of the line."

Bucky lightly pressed his lips on Steve's before helping him stand back up and walking him to the Quinjet to make sure his head is okay.

I hope you like it :)