Part 27

My heart rams against my chest as the man smiles at me.

  "Hello dear," he says coldly. He doesn't sound crazy anymore. Just mean.

  "Don't fucking talk to her," Jackson snarls. He turns his attention to Jackson.

  "This doesn't concern you."

  "Yes the hell it does!" He yells.

  "Quiet. No need for yelling," he says. "I would like to speak to Hazel." I shiver at the sound of my name. How does he know my name?!?!? Jackson swallows and presses against me even more. "Alone." Jackson doesn't respond. I let go of his hand and wrap my arms around his waist, trying to pull him closer even though it's impossible. I press my face between his shoulder blades.

  "No," I say loudly. I feel and hear my voice shake. The man laughs.

  "Sweetie, I won't harm you. I'd just like to talk." My breathing gets faster.

  "No. Fuck off." I can't believe it when it comes out of my mouth, but my voice doesn't shake this time. I look up in time to see a cold smile turn into a cruel one. Jackson shifts slightly.

  The man steps forward and to the side, right into my eyesight.

  "What?" He asks. He's a few feet away. Jackson moves so that I can't see him anymore and he can't see me. I place my hands lightly on Jacksons back and push him away a couple inches. I'm not going to hide from this bastard anymore.

  I step forward and the man steps back.

  "If you come near me again, I am going to call the cops. They will have your ass for stalking and harassment. If you lay one goddamn finger on me, you're also going down for assault. So I'll say it again. We are not going to speak further than this, and you can go fuck off." His face remains the same. He's not impressed one bit. The doors open and he steps out, turning to me before he goes.

  "My dear, if only it worked like that." He departs with a creepy smile. I ball my fists. I want to go punch him. I start to step out of the elevator, but Jackson grabs me around the waist and yanks me back.

  "Let go," I growl. His chest is pressed against my back and I'm all too aware that his hands are on my hips, keeping me against him. I feel his chin in the crook of my neck and his lips against my ear. When he whispers, my while body shivers.

  "So you're not still scared?" He asks. I shrug.

  "I.. Don't think he wants to hurt me," I choke out. I feel him smile.

  "Yeah." I try to pull away, not being able to handle the physical contact.

  "Where are you going?" He pouts.

  "Uh.. I- um, we.. off the elevator.." He laughs at me and grabs my hand, tugging me closer.

  "We still have 5 floors to go through."

  "Yeah.. Um.." I can't think of an excuse and my face burns.

  He pulls me in tightly with one arm around my waist. My heart hammers. He runs his other hand down my back. My breath catches and I squirm.

  "I'm sorry about everything I said to you. I know you can take care of yourself," he says. His hand stops on the small of my back. I push my head into his chest and squirm some more.

  "Okay," I say. He laughs.

  "Aren't you going to say you're sorry too?" I look up at him.

  "For what?" He smiles and shoves me away playfully. I will say that I'm relieved to have a couple feet between us.

  The doors open and we step out. The sky is lighter, promising daylight in the next 30 minutes.

  When we get back to the room and I collapse on the bed, exhausted. Jackson sits on the chair beside me. I tilt my head, confused.

  He lays his forehead on the matress. We sit in silence for a few seconds.

  "..Jackson..?"

  "Hmm?" I pat the open space on the bed beside me. He doesn't pick his head up. He just shakes it.

  "Why..?"

  "Not going to sleep."

  "Uh, yeah you are. You haven't gotten any sleep." He shrugs. I give an exasperated sigh.

  "I'm not tired," he says. Lie. He's exhausted.

  "Can you still come up here?"  He picks his head up and already has a grin on his face. He takes off his shoes and sits on the bed with his back turned to me. In a swift motion he pulls his shirt over his head and I'm staring at his bare back. My eyes widen involuntarily. Is that even allowed in a hospital?

  He lays down beside me, acting like he didn't just get half naked. He pulls the blanket up to his waist. I furrow my eyebrows and pull it up to my chin. He looks at me and pulls it back down. I raise my eyebrows.

  "I'm cold!" I whine. He grins mischievously. Crap.

  He scoots closer to me.

  "Is that so?" I freeze. He grabs me waist and pulls me into his chest. "Still cold?" He smiles.

  "Yeah, actually." I pull the blanket up and tuck it under my chin. He laughs and lets his head fall onto the pillow. I feel his head shift as he looks down at me. I look up.

  "I can't wait to leave this place," I tell him. "I can leave tomorrow. Tasha said." He nods.

  "We are leaving Phoenix in three days."

  "Okay," I whisper.

  He closes his eyes and looks asleep in minutes. His face is in my hair and his arms are around me. My face is against his chest.

  "I love you," I whisper. There is silence for roughly 4 seconds.

  "I love you, too." He whispers tiredly. I smile and fall asleep almost immidiently.