16

May 18, Saturday

Elizabeth's POV

Beyoncé plays loudly in my room as I get ready for the day. I absolutely love her, I wish I could go to one of her concerts.

My cousin is coming over today from The Bronx and I'm excited to see him. I haven't seen him in two years.

Philip is very distant when it comes to family, just like me. The only reason he's coming is because his mom's birthday is coming up and my mom usually helps him plan ideas. He's staying for the weekend so I'm hoping we hang out.

I finally finish my makeup and add setting spray so it lasts longer. I walk over to my cellphone and disconnect it from my speakers. I lock my screen and slip my phone into my back pocket. I head downstairs and see my mom in the living room, moping.

"Chill, it's only Philip," I laugh.

"Richard is coming over as well," she says, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Cool," I smile although she can't see me. I kind of like Richard. He's cool and he doesn't interfere as much as I thought he would. I know my mom and him are dating because I saw them kiss a few weeks ago. They were having dinner after I came home from hanging out with the boys.

There's a knock at the door and I walk over, opening it and revealing a tall Philip.

"Holy shit," I gasp as I look up at him.

"What's up," his voice is deep and low.

"What the fuck man, you grew!" I shout as if he wouldn't be able to hear me, all the way up there.

"Elizabeth," my mom warns behind me.

"Can I come in?" He laughs.

"Oh fuck, sorry," I step out of the way and open the door wider for him.

"Elizabeth!" My mom raises her voice as she holds the mop in her both hands.

"Sorry," I blush.

"Hi tia," Philip bends down to hug my mother. Philip is Mexican from his father's side which explains why he calls my mom, aunt in Spanish.

He also spent two years in Mexico, which explains why we haven't seen him. I believe they came back about three months ago.

I love Philip's parents, they're marriage is the cutest story I've ever heard and seen. Apparently Philip's dad came from Mexico when he was fifteen and he met my aunt at a supermarket in Los Ángeles, California. She was shopping for groceries and she had dropped a watermelon on my uncle's foot. He started cursing in Spanish but she didn't understand so she just kept apologizing. They ended up in the same high school which made her remember him, so she tried talking to him but he didn't speak any English so she took Spanish classes to communicate with him. They started dating their junior year and since then, they've been together.

When they turned twenty, they came to New York and got married then both started their careers in art school which lead them to being amazing artists in The Bronx, New York.

"I know you like to help me go all out for mama's birthdays but we're a little low on money because of our trip back so I was wondering if maybe we can have a dinner here, in your home," Philip says to my mom.

"Oh my God, yes!" She cheers, "I'd love that."

"That's actually a good idea," I nod.

"Thanks," Philip smiles.

"Did you bring your suitcase?" My mom asks him.

"Yeah, it's in my car," he points to the car parked outside our garage.