🇨🇦 Canadian poutine 🇨🇦

28 oz. frozen French fries, OR

a batch of homemade fries

6 oz. cheese curds 

Or you can sub that with 6 oz. whole milk, low moisture mozzarella cheese, cut into bite-sized pieces.

1 packet gravy mix

Vegetable oil (optional)
use if frying

Fresh thyme to garnish (optional)

Cooking the dish:

For frozen fries: If baking, bake the fries according to package instructions.

For frying, heat the oil to 300 degrees in a deep fryer or dutch oven. You don’t want the fries to boil rapidly, but to lightly bubble just to cook them through. 

TIP: Using a candy/deep frying thermometermakes it easy to tell when the oil is ready.

Add the fries to the oil in batches, you don’t want to overcrowd them. Fry for about 5 minutes, then place them on a paper towel lined plate.

Repeat until all fries have been fried once.

Increase heat to 400 degrees and fry in batches a second time, until they are a light golden brown.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Line the fries on a baking sheet and sprinkle the cheese on top.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is just melted but not browned. You want them to retain their shape and color.

Prepare the gravy according to package instructions and drizzle it over the baking sheet of fries and cheese.

Use a spatula to remove and serve! Garnish with fresh thyme if desired!

Thanks to Stephanie for this recipe!

Shoutout to youngestofthebunch and ntlpurpolia and all of the rest of the Canadian SGC!