Breach

Bulan moved swiftly, he disappeared in the blink of an eye only to appear seconds after behind his target.

He then pierced the figure with his weapon, and watched it disappear in a dark cloud, only to reappear with its hand choking his neck.

Sidapa gently placed Bulan down, careful not to hurt him.

"You learn quick little one. But you must be faster. The stick we use to practice with, is not as half as heavy as the sword your siblings own. Getting used to their size and shape will require some time as well. For now, concentrate on the technique. We will have time to..." A scream of terror interrupted Sidapa and Bulan's training.

They both looked up to the sky to witness the Bakunawa claim another moon. The three moons took to the chase, and Bulan was about to join them but Sidapa grabbed him before he could float away.

"Let me go! They need my help!" Bulan struggled.

"You'll only add to their concern. You are safer here... with me. You have very little skills in fighting. Until you are ready, you cannot just blindly go into battle!" Sidapa admonished.

"Banolor!" Bulan cried.

"Hush my little moon. Hush. Your grandfather will not tolerate this. The Bakunawa will not go unpunished. I assure you."

Bulan pushed Sidapa away, he bent down to retrieve his stick, pointing it at Sidapa he took the stance before he spoke. His voice cold, and low.

"You must train me harder. I need to become better. Soon it will be my time to ascend the sky. No sea creature will defeat me. I refuse to extinguish my light without a fight."

Bulan's tears fell one by one, as hatred and anger clouded his heart.

"Then prepare to learn... my little moon." And Sidapa advanced with great speed to attack the crying figure. He disappeared into a cloud of black smoke and tried to confuse the boy from which direction he would appear but it seems Bulan's senses were heightened.

He was able to anticipate each random attack. Ten times Sidapa tried to trick Bulan, and ten times the boy was able to lodge the stick in Sidapa's body before he could even embrace the moon god.

Sidapa used his powers to call the crows and ravens to confuse Bulan, but the boy released his blinding light and the birds stopped in mid flight, suspended but rendered immobile.

Still glowing in intense brightness Bulan attacked Sidapa, throwing himself at the god of death they fell to the ground with Bulan's arms pinning the bigger god to the ground.

"You're not playing fair. I thought we agreed not to use our powers besides teleportation, oh mighty Sidapa." Bulan teased, bringing his shining face down to about an inch close to the face of the dark god.

"I had to teach you to be alert at all times, the enemy will not fight fair." Sidapa tried to squirm out of the moon god's grasp. He could not use his powers for some reason to transform into smoke and escape. He was trapped.

Bulan stared at the squirming death god, a smile forming on his face at the realization that this was his first win. Then something else caught his eyes... Sidapa's smoke was thinning, the god of death's true form was begining to show through.

"Stop glowing. You'll damage my disguise." Sidapa pleaded. Bulan's light immediately dimmed, the birds were set free, and Sidapa's smoke covered his body again.

They both stood up, Bulan looking up into the sky to see three moons at their posts. The brightness considerably lessened.

"They're safe for now. The beast can only feed once every night. But they must think of a way to protect themselves, otherwise they will all end up as food for the sea creature." Sidapa said, pouring fresh dew from a tree branch for him and Bulan to drink.

"Why is it doing this? The Bakunawa used to be so gentle. When will this end? When the world is thrown into darkness?" Bulan asked.

"Darkness." Sidapa repeated. Something in what Bulan said struck a cord of realization in his mind. Only the night creatures would benefit from this.

"Bulan, I need you to go to your grandfather. Take a message to him. Tell him the night creatures should be investigated. They are the ones who would benefit the most if the world was thrown into darkness."

"But the night creatures are under your command. Won't they follow your orders?" Bulan asked drinking the dew from a husk of coconut.

"Yes they are, and yes they will. But Kaptan must be informed of this, so he does not think I had anything to do with the attacks. Hurry. Do not go there in your moon form, I would rather not risk it. Just blink to teleport, so it would be safer." Sidapa advised.

"Very well then, but I must ask you to give me a reward once I have completed my training and proved I am ready to join my brother and sisters in the sky." Bulan held the stare of the towering bulk before him.

"What do you ask of me... my brilliant moon? Everything I have, I would gladly lay at your feet." Sidapa caressed Bulan's left cheek.

"I wish to see your true form." Bulan replied, and he felt the god of death move slowly away.

"No one has ever seen my true form. It is not as comely as the beauty you possess. I would rather not disappoint you." Sidapa turned his back on the boy.

"Let me be the judge of that. It is not fair that you've seen my true form, yet hide under a thick cloud of black smoke. If you truly trust me... you will do as I ask." Bulan placed his hand on Sidapa's right shoulder.

"I will think about it." Sidapa turned around, and hugged Bulan, before releasing him so he could carry the message to his grandfather.