And here he was again, holding his phone under his comforter curled up in a tiny ball staring at the name "Jorge🍌" on his screen.

I hope he's okay- "OOF!"

Cindi, his dog, jumped up on his stomach and started nestling in his shoulder for some very much needed pupper attention. Benji giggled and pushed her away, "Cindi, stop! Your breath stinks."

And then he heard the ringing. His phone— it was ringing, "SHIT," Benji scrambled toward it to end the call, but before he could Jorge answered it.

"Hello?"

His voice.

"Benji?"

That was his voice.

"Did you call me?"

Benji gulped and picked up his phone shakily, "S-sorry. It was an accident."

The screen was dark on the other end,

"Oh," Jorge said softly and Benji's heart dropped. "Then I'll text you tomorrow-"

"No," Benji said quickly to silence. "I mean... I want to talk. If you're up for it. I actually wanted to know if you... you were okay?"

Jorge laughed lightly with a smile Benji couldn't see. "I am now."

An awkward but comforting pause.

"You sound different than I expected-" they said at the same time.

"Your voice is so much deeper," Jorge laughed quietly. Benji smiled and rested himself against the backboard of his bed.

"I get that a lot. Didn't expect you to sound like such a twink."

Jorge opened his mouth and closed it into a grin, "I am insulted Benjimen. You sound pretty daddy yourself."

"Ha! You wish."

"I can't believe you accidentally called me at 2:00 AM"

"Hey, it was my dog, not me."

Jorge gasped, "YOU HAVE A DOG?!" he whisper yelled. "SHOW ME"

Benji directed the camera towards Cindi and Jorge made a little happy noise that made Benji's heart flutter. "She's so cute!"

Benji picked her up and held her with the camera facing both of them.

"She heard your voice," Benji said while Cindi was looking for where Jorge's voice was coming from. "She's looking for you."

"Awwe, baby," Jorge cooed. "Maybe I'll get to meet you if your dad would be willing to see me."

"Yeah well, I'm still not convinced you're not a pedophile," Cindi hopped off the bed and waddled to her water dish.

"Whattt? You don't believe me?" Jorge teased. He turned on the bedroom light and his face suddenly appeared on the screen. Benji grinned, and then frowned. "Still not convinced? Or did my dashing good looks shock y-"

"Were you crying?" Jorge's face fell. He had dark circles under his eyes, and dried streams from where tears had fallen trailed down his cheeks. He looked away, ashamed. "Jorge, what happened?"

"It was nothing," he said quietly. "Just a fight with my dad."

"You seem to get in those a lot," Benji looked at him, concerned. Jorge laughed bitterly. "Yeah, we do."

Another awkward pause.

"Hey," Benji smiled softly. "Don't worry about that. This is the first time we get to talk to each other, let's make the most of it."

Jorge smiled too. They talked all night.

/////

this was a shit chapter, i'm so sorry
i winged this one but we need content 👎😔