four; the love of a cat

SHAWN MENDES
"What greater gift than the
love of a cat."
Charles Dickens
—————

"How's my boy?" My mum's voice echoed through the room as I put her on speaker.

I sighed. "I've been great, what about you and the others?"

"Well, I've been perfect and your dad too. Aaliyah is preparing herself for uni."

I laughed. "Damn, she's growing so fast. What about Theo and Eden?"

"Theo is well Theo." She answered with a chuckle. "Still after girls but he's working better in school since your dad threatened him to take the car away." She told me earning a giggle from me. "Eden is locked in her rooms reading."

"New habit?" I asked as my mum hummed. "I met a girl." I told her quietly.

"Tell me everything." She answered excitedly.

I sat on my couch grabbing a beer and cleared my throat. "Her name is Serenity Hudson, she's twenty two and god, she's so pretty."

"What is she doing? In life?" She asked.

I shrugged even if she couldn't see me. "I never asked her but she reads a lot like a fucking lot, mum." I said to her. "She even made me read a book!"

"A book? Tell me you're joking?" She replied quickly. "Did you read it?"

I hummed. "I did read it until the end, non-stop." I could see my mum's jaw dropping on the floor at the confession. "Kill your friend." I added

"I saw the movie but never read the book." She randomly said.

"Anyways, I'm supposed to go to see her so I love you." I said. "Have a nice day, I'll call you later." She answered me then hung up.

Never in my life, I thought I would read a book and until the end. My doorbell rang while I walked to it, Serenity was standing behind it, Kelly at her feet.

"Hey Ren." I told her with a shy smile.

She laid a kiss on my cheek taking me by surprise...as usual. "Hey Shawn."

"Hey Kels." I kneeled taking her in my arms and showered her with kisses. "I missed you this week." I mumbled kissing her head one last time before putting her on the floor.

Serenity turned around and watched me. "So, how is the book?"

I grinned proudly. "Was. I already finish it."

She gasped and clapped her hands together. "No way! Fuck yeah!" She yelled running in my arms. "Sorry if I'm too touchy." She whispered pulling away.

I shook my head and brought her closer. "It's okay." I answered wrapping my arms next to her again.

She pulled a way after a good minute. "Since you finished the book, we are going somewhere else."

I arched my eyebrow. "Where?"

She smiled cheekily. "You'll see."