Chapter 9

My heart is bleeding. Bleeding from the truth that I just discovered. How dare my mum? Everything now is my mum's fault. How could she have had a relationship with a married man? Is it the reason why she quit working for Alice's mum? Because she was pregnant with me?

"Awiti, you'll be late for school, what are you doing outside there?" My mum called from inside the house,  sounding more of in a hurry.

"I'm.. I'm coming," I responded, tears forming in my eyes, after all the unanswered questions and frustrations I've been having. Should I ask her about it or should I find out more information?

"Make sure everything is in the right place before we leave. I don't want you leaving things behind," she said as I entered the house. I'm always organised, so leaving things behind was not my thing.

"Everything is in place," I said standing inside the house in front of the door.

"Is something wrong with you? I have noticed you've not been yourself lately. I'm your mother, you can tell me absolutely anything," she said coming closer to me giving me that sadish look which I did not like much because it made me feel like she was studying me. Well more of judging than studying.

I couldn't handle it anymore. I broke down into flooding tears feeling confused. My mum came nearer and held me, patting me on my shoulder. This feeling made more tears roll down my cheeks.

"It's okay. If it's that boy that broke your heart, I'm going to deal with him. Don't cry anymore. Love does hurt sometimes," she said, sympathizing with me.

"It does mum, especially if you love that person so much with your whole heart and soul and then you discover they've been hiding things from you," I said with a teary voice.

"Yes, that's sad. What has he been hiding from you all along? I swear I'm going to make him pay." She said, breaking the closeness we had and looking me in the eyes.

I still remained mute wondering what I should say. She was looking at me with that look again. As if she could see deep down my soul.

"It doesn't matter mum, I don't feel like talking about it," I said, feeling it more to myself. I felt calm and wiped away my tears. This was not going to end soon and everything had to be solved one step at a time.

"There, your phone is ringing. Take it," my mum said, looking at my buzzing  phone which I placed on top of the table.

"Hello Alice," I said lifting it to my ears. Holding the cup which was about to fall down from the table.

"Hey, have you left already?" She asked from the other end of the phone call.

" Not yet but I'm about to," I responded.

" You can come over here, my dad will be offering you a ride as he takes me back to school. I know it's from opposite directions but I asked him and he accepted," she said, as usual always worried about me.

"It's okay Alice, we already booked a bus to school,"

"How will you carry all the luggages with you? That's too much work. Just stop being stubborn and come," she said.

"It's okay, you can go," my mum whispered indicating that she agreed with it.

"Okay, I'll be there, but I hope it won't take much time, I need to find a room for the semester,"

"Okay hurry up then," she answered.

"Thanks Alice," I concluded.

"No need," she said and ended the call.

My mum made Mike help me carry some of my belonging as we headed to where Alice's stayed. Along the way I was too unsure of something. I wasn't sure how I was going to face Baba Alice knowing that I already know the truth. How will he treat me? Normal? I know he always treated me well, but like Alice's friend. He knows I'm his daughter or maybe Alice knows about this too. Because her mum knows. And it's hard to keep it from Alice considering she's their only daughter. And she never told me a word. I feel so alone and betrayed.