CONTINGENCIES OCCASIONED BY POPULAR CULTURE PART 1

There are times in our always evolving lives where artistic media define our immediate stations in life and transcend the narrow view that big words and emotions pour out of books and cinema only .

I have always believed the similitudes occasioned by popular culture and certain crucial examples have marked me for life, with all the intensity and positivity I accord them.

These are the contingencies brought by art that impacted my life, in ways that pedantic classroom interactions or hollow pearls of wisdom never can.

Also, I had longed to write this series but it got delayed. But here I am.

****

.. THE LIONESS NURSING A BABY DEER -

The first instance I recall is one that almost everybody I knew then watched on television ; for those were truly the days of infotainment when popular culture had something unique to share with viewers even as it found new narratives to weave around wildlife that can often go in the same concentric circles regarding visual details.

It was probably on National Geographic or Discovery that we saw our notions of the wild - with the predictable emphasis on survival of the fittest - go for a complete transformation and the hunter / hunted binary transitioning to one of pure humanity.

A baby deer, separated from the rest of the clan after the latter becoming prey to lions, is nursed, looked after and protected by a lioness who becomes a maternal figure of singular strength, facing odds from her own ilk to ensure the young one survives. This is so relevant to our present scenario where personal hatreds do not spare the innocent ones. Being reminded of this episode shot by the crew of naturalists years ago informed me of the sheer strength of character present in living beings, who have the capacity to rewrite conventions and prevail with their individuality, whether in the wild or in our concrete jungles.

It's a lesson we, the so called rational beings, must learn as social creatures . It still leaves me moist eyed

This instance still remains a miracle of nature, just like that Nat Geo cover shot of the Afghani girl with 'tiger eyes' that became a pop culture fixture. 'The lioness nursing a baby deer' has become a legend, akin to a modern parable and is vividly remembered by us, mere mortals.

**

.. GIMME ALL YOUR LOVE APPEARING WITH JENNIFER LAWRENCE -

In this case, it was telepathy or intuition as I am blessed with a good dose of the latter. The thing is being an admirer of the musical outfit ALABAMA SHAKES, their sensual, riotous spell of sensations and vocals on their number GIMME ALL YOUR LOVE had become a mainstay.