Chapter Eleven

Ritomy was a seaside town. Because it was also a college town, it was a popular summer tourist destination. There was still off season tourism during the spring and early autumn, but most people wanted to be somewhere warmer in the winter.

It was early autumn as I walked, wondering why I was not riding my bicycle as usual, and I encountered a few strangers as I passed through town on my way to the beach. Eventually, I stopped before a popular clothing boutique and stared through the front window. Mel was inside, trying on dress after dress and saying yes to each of them as the cash register kept increasing the exorbitant price of her purchases.

I tried to get her attention, but she was too focused on her new obsession. I even banged my fists against the window, as though I had to save her from becoming a lost cause on a path toward overrated, misconceived popularity, but she did not hear me or take notice of me.

I turned away from the window and she slipped from my mind as I continued on my way through town toward the beach. Before long, I came across a sight that excited me. It was Jeicen on display for anyone to admire. For some reason the tiny box in which he was displayed was in the middle of the street, but I did not think overly long on it.

There was a crowd gathered around him, watching and enjoying the show, as he danced in a constraining box barely big enough to hold him. There was little room for him to properly move, but that hardly mattered since he was wearing nothing except a g-string. His hips gyrated enough to make me as hard as a rock, and when he turned to reveal his fleshy buttocks I lost it once again and came in my pants.

Everyone knew what I had done that time, for they were all suddenly staring at me. They pointed at my crotch and laughed. Supremely embarrassed, I turned and ran away toward the beach.

Soon I figured I was just enjoying a practice run to the beach on a non-practice day since I enjoyed jogging as much as I did thinking about naked guys. It was a beautiful day, the sun was out, and the breeze was just cool enough against my heated, sweaty skin. In no time at all, I came to the edge of the beach. The sand and water looked inviting, but a movement off to the side caught my attention.

An area of beach grass swayed in the breezes, and crouched amidst the vegetation was Taye as naked as the day he had been born. There was an animalistic quality to his posture, as though it was as natural for him to be there in the grass as it was for him to be on a football field. Even though I could not see much of his body, just knowing that he was naked was exciting me.

He smiled at me in a way that seemed to indicate he wanted to eat me, and then his eyes did the strangest thing by reflecting the light of the sun. Only then did I realize that night had fallen, the moon was full, and Taye was practically invisible amidst the beach grass except for a pair of beautifully reflective eyes that seemed to stare straight into my very being.

A sound from the beach distracted me. I remembered my original destination, uncertain why the beach was calling to me, and I stepped onto the sand to make my way down to the water. At the water's edge, the sound of the waves and the sight of moonlight reflecting off the ocean made me feel at peace.

Again, I heard the distracting sound. It seemed to be coming from down the beach to my left. I walked until I came across a fish that was flipping and flopping on the sand for its very life. I was about to bend down to pick it up in order to fling it back out to sea, but my name was called and I turned in the direction from which I was being called.

Suddenly, it was daytime again, but I did not think it odd. Down the beach, coming toward me, were three figures. Mel, Taye, and Jeicen. They were all three smiling and waving at me. I smiled in return and waved for them to hurry over to where I was, feeling certain that there was something important I wanted to share with them.

I looked down at the sand and a gruesome sight made me balk. I took a few steps back as my eyes were glued to a hideously mutilated body of a mermaid.