Chapter 26

Elizabeth
"Sorry about the whole prank, Deaks," I apologized as I patted his shirt and shorts with a rag. "It's okay, Liz. It was actually well-executed." I dropped the rag on the counter and plopped on top of it. "Well thank you. I pride myself on fear," I put my hand over my heart so dramatically like Freddie.

"How're you holding up?" John looked up at me with eyes full of concern. I shrugged. "I mean, I could be better." I decided not to say that I'm quite terrified. I need to be the strong one, for all of us. "But we all could be better right now, y'know?" He nodded. "Brian's not too good, is he? That's why he was in the bath and you were telling him Queen stories?" John glanced over his shoulder in the direction of Brian's bedroom, where he was getting dressed.

"No, he thinks he needs to be the strong one for the band," he set his head in his hand sadly. I hummed, deep in thought. "Hey, how did you get in here? Brian said you were just in the sitting room, waiting for him," I frowned, looking down at the bassist. He gazed up at me, a smile playing on his lips. "I came in through the window," he raised his eyebrows, like he wanted me to understand some hidden meaning. "But the window's locked!"

"I picked the lock," John replied with a full smile. I thought about how that was weird enough on its own, but when I realized a crucial fact.

"John, we live on the third floor!" I slipped down from the counter. He turned to me, head in hands with a mischievous smile. From this angle, he looked like Willy Wonka in a way. Same sparkle in his eye. "Did that stop me?" God, sometimes he was funny, but others he was just... dark. "You're twisted," I gave him a limp arm.

I was about to say I needed to go work when I remembered: work! "SHIT!" I hollered, flapping my arms to my room. I had a clock in my room, and it was 3:50 pm. "Shit shit shit shit!" I yanked my clothes off, pulling on my schoolgirl uniform. I accidentally ripped my favorite blue Hawaiian shirt, but I was about to be late for work!

"Liz, what's- WHOA!" John walked in as I had no shirt on and promptly looked away, shielding his eyes. "Why're you so upset?" I pulled on my pantyhose, and was sort of out of breath when I answered. "I'm going to be late for work!" John, by this point, was facing my doorway, so he didn't have to see me undress. "What kind of job requires you to be a- oh." I cringed as I heard him remember the incident. I ran into my bathroom, but not before yelling "I'm decent!" so he wouldn't have to be turned around.

He walked in as I tore into my makeup kit, opening the lipgloss and eyeshadow containers. "So you're Miss Taylor, huh? Must be exciting," he leaned against my doorframe, hands in pockets. "Yep, sure is," I absent-mindedly replied as I finished the eyeliner and mascara. I grabbed my bag and was about to grab my keys when I remembered. I needed to tuck my lower bits, as to look like I have a woman's part down there. "John, for the sake of both of us, look away now."

He closed his eyes and turned away just as I reached my hand down my pants. As soon as that was flat and normal looking, I grabbed my keys off of my nightstand. "Thanks. I'm have to go, I'm already late," I hugged him and went to tell Brian goodbye. "Hey, I'm leaving, make yourself dinner," I kissed his forehead and ran out the door.

Brian
Liz was late to work, so she dashed out the door as not to be further tardy. John walked into my room and sat on the end of my bed. I set down my book and moved my legs so he would have room to sit. "John, I need some advice," I started. He waved his hand for me to continue. "I asked this chick out on a date Friday, and I want to know how to impress her. She's really cool and I really like her." John looked at me, deep in thought, before speaking. "From all the years of knowing her, one would think you'd know how to impress Liz," he sat back. My eyes widened and I scooted back further.

"Now how did you know it was-" "Brian. I know everything, it's not hard to figure it out." I folded my arms across my chest and furrowed my brow at him. "Are you a psychic or something? I mean, you climbed in through the locked window of our living room and we live on the third floor, and you knew I was talking about Elizabeth!" John shrugged his shoulders and smiled darkly. "That's for me to know and you to find out. Anyway, just take her to a cozy spot. She may act all tough, but she really does like to be soft," John got up and went to the doorframe. "Anyway, I should be off. It's almost time for my shift at hospital," he waved. "Bye, and thanks for the bath. It was fun," I smiled and waved back.

John makes me nervous sometimes. He always knows stuff he shouldn't, like the time I told him I liked Liz- before she was Liz. He already knew, and before I could say it, he had said, "You finally came to terms with your liking Roger?" I was so taken aback that I could only nod my head. It's like nothing can stop him when he wants to do something. For my song, '39, I told him to learn the double bass, as a joke. I thought nothing of it, but when I walked into the studio two days later, he had gone out, bought one, and learned to play it in just 48 hours. When I'd asked him why, his response was: "Why not?" Honestly, he could commit a mass-murder and we'd be none the wiser. And I seem to be the only one who knows that he's not really innocent as he seems.

It was getting close to dinnertime, as my alarm clock told me it was a quarter to five. I walked to the kitchen, stomach rumbling, and went to forage for a meal. There wasn't much for me, as Liz was the one who ate meat, but there was a few things I could use to whip up a dinner. 'Maybe a veggie fried rice,' I thought to myself, pulling out the rice and butter. As I fished out the bag of frozen mixed veggies from the freezer, I hummed along to one of my favorite songs. I always told the others that my favorite song was John's "You're My Best Friend", but it was really "Fun It." I'm not sure why I like it so much; maybe because of Liz's singing or the drum beats. Perhaps the guitar part I had. I just thought it was a catchy song, that one.

Thirty minutes later

As I washed my plate, I figured that John must be hungry. He never liked hospital food, so I put some rice into a plastic container and drove to the hospital.