eleven

first date - blink-182

zayn

Friday night comes much faster than expected. Perhaps my busy week of working overtime at the convenience store and staying up through the ugly hours of the night completing school assignments has made that happen. The week has passed with a bore, but my tedious schedule has seemingly distracted me from worrying about my date with Carlie.

My date with Carlie.

God, it is strange even thinking those words.

And the way I had asked her out was strange too. Also, the fact that she had wanted me to ask her out was strange to me. But it happened, and I am here now, standing in front of my closet and trying to pick out what to wear with the aid of Harry.

Yes, I have called my gay friend and asked for his fashion advice.

"Where are you taking her again, mate?" He mumbles, fishing through the numerous shirts and sweaters I have hung up in my closet.

"It's a surprise."

"Yes, Zayn, I know it's a surprise, but you're not taking me out on this date, are you? Just tell me where you're bringing the girl." Harry turns and faces me, his hands on his hips.

"Uh," I laugh, scratching at the nape of my neck. "Her favorite Italian place."

"Please tell me you didn't call up Louis and ask where she likes to eat."

"Well, I did." I mutter. "I had to ask him if he was okay with the fact that I'm taking his stepsister out, anyway."

Harry laughs quite loudly, throwing his head back and clapping his hands. I stand there watching, not letting a single chuckle leave my lips. He seems to find enjoyment in how vigilant I am.

"Oh, God," Harry calms down, catching his breath. "You are too cute, Zayn."

"Shut up."

"Okay, let me help you. I'm sorry. That was just very funny to me."

"Everything is funny to you. Now please just find me the right clothes and get out of my apartment."

He sighs and faces my closet again. "Is this place fancy? Or casual?"

"Casual," I answer. "If it was fancy, I don't think I would be able to afford it."

"True." Harry snickers.

I try not to get too irritated with him as he begins pulling out random shirts and sweaters that I don't remember I own, throwing them into a pile on my bed. He helps himself to my dresser and picks out a pair of black jeans, telling me that these are a 'must'.

"If I were you, I would go for the go for the henley. Makes you look muscular." He smirks.

"I think I've got it from here, Harry," I roll my eyes. "Thanks for the help."

"No problem, mate. I'll tell Ni you said hello."

I nod as he lets himself out of my apartment, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I get dressed (in the henley that Harry suggested) and fix up my hair a bit, then check the time. I should be at her house to pick her up in five minutes. I exhale shortly and grab my keys, heading for the door.

-

I park my truck in the driveway and bound up the stone steps to her house, knocking boldly on the front door. Usually, I just text her saying I'm outside, but this is a proper date. So I go to her front door.

I expect to see Carlie when the door opens, but instead, I meet the confused gaze of a middle aged man. This must be Dean.

I clear my throat. "Um, hello. I'm here for Carlie."