09 - SHARPLY CONTRASTING

One morning the girl woke up exhausted, she could hardly stand up and dragged herself barefoot toward the bathroom

One morning the girl woke up exhausted, she could hardly stand up and dragged herself barefoot toward the bathroom. She reached the bowl and threw up everything she had in her body. Then, feverishly, she fell on the floor. Nef picked her up some time later, after hearing her moan, as he went to relax in his private room.

They called a doctor, but she had never wanted to be examined; when she was ill, she always waited for the fever to drop by itself. Eventually she surrendered but she demanded that no one be present. Above all Nef.

At the end of the examination, the doctor came out and told Jag, the only one left waiting outside, that the fever would go down in a few days.

The kid knocked on the door, went in and sat next to the bed. The girl was breathing heavily, her eyes burned and she heard distant voices blend with real noises.

"You'll be okay..." the brat said with a sad voice. "I must leave soon; I need to do something that I can't avoid. I don't know if we'll see each other again... Every time... I never know if the experiment will succeed..." he whispered "But, you know, I always liked the idea of being an eternal child: being a child gives great privileges, like no one taking you seriously." But she didn't hear him; his words were lost among the thousand voices who were calling her.

After several days of convalescence, Fade got up from the bed. The doctor said that with the antibiotics she would recover soon, but the girl didn't take it, however, waiting for a spontaneous healing. In the meantime she refused to see whoever went to visit her.

When the doctor examined her, he realized that there was something beyond the fever and she was advised to undergo an examination as soon as possible. And there she was, sitting in the bathroom, holding the stick of a pregnancy test in her hand and a weight on her heart. "He'll kill me..." she thought, frustrated.

That evening she waited for the man in the private room. She had begged him to give her the key during an afternoon cigarette break; she had been very vague on the subject to be discussed.
The bass player arrived over a half-hour late; when he went in, he noticed that the girl was in a foul mood and immediately realized that he shouldn't expect anything good.

"I'm listening," he said without even saying hello.

"Well, the doctor, when I was sick, gave me this..." she said, showing him the test box.

Nef didn't need her to add anything else. "You're not pregnant, are you?"

She didn't answer.

"Tell me you're not pregnant, damn it!"

"I can't tell you that!"

He grabbed her by the arm and pulled her up from the sofa "Shit, Fade! But didn't you take the pill? Shit! Is this an attempt to frame me? You're doing this to frame me, aren't you?" He shouted shaking her. He was nervous for the impending departure and that was the last thing he wanted to hear.