54

Dr. Brenner extended his hand to Richie, who refused to shake it. He didn't seem to care either way.

"You must be Richard Tozier."

"What's it to you?" Richie asked, his jaw clenched and eyes narrowed.

"You're working in my facility. I run the Hive and all of its locations all over the country."

"So it's your fault my brother is being tortured?"

"Mike was an issue in the past. He deserves what's happening to him."

Richie lunged at the doctor, only to be held back by Donald, who gripped his arms so tightly there would surely be marks.

"You fucking psychopath," Richie hissed, trying to fight against the hold Donald had on him.

"I'm not a psychopath, Richard. I'm a doctor. It's my responsibility to make sure that the Hive functions properly, and I can't do that if people get in my way. The only reason I haven't killed you yet is because I know that Eleven will come looking for you, and I need her back."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Eleven escaped from me three years ago, and I was nearly mauled by a monster. Her powers haven't been working, so I need her back to help her use them before we take over the government and the country," Dr. Brenner said it plainly, without any emotion, and it made Richie shudder.

"We think he set the lab on fire by messing with the wiring. He's smart," Donald said, glaring at Richie.

"Hmm," Dr. Brenner hummed, walking over to Richie. He looked into his eyes, before lifting his chin and surveying his neck. Then, he looked at his hands and arms. "You're correct. He did."

Richie didn't want to rise to the bait, but his mouth had other plans. "How the fuck did you-"

Dr. Brenner cut him off. "It's simple. When you touch a computer's console and mess with the wiring, it leaves a... footprint per-say. There's red spiderweb like veins on your skin," he held up Richie's arm to show him, "and that is a tell of some form of electrocution or, in this case, messing with faulty wiring."

Richie was pissed, but he had to be a little impressed with the doctor's analysis.

"What's the punishment, sir?" Zack asked. Richie noticed he was standing up straight looking like a child standing in front of their role model. Suck up.

"There isn't one necessary at the moment. I'd like to use your lie detector. I'm aware two of your best technicians designed it?"

"Yes, sir," Zack said, leading the group to where Ben and Bill's lie detector stood.

Richie remembered the first time he had been in there. Eddie had asked the questions, and he had pledged his loyalty to the Hive. Pledged his loyalty to Eddie and his team. He couldn't help but feel angry and betrayed as he stared at the machine, knowing whatever questions they asked would not benefit him whatsoever.

They took him to the chair and secured him to the spot. The machine began to buzz and hum, signaling its coming to life.

The doctor sat beside him, surveying how Richie was sitting, his expression, as well as his form. It made Richie shudder and fight the restraints. He hated how much Dr. Brenner reminded him of a snake, with his narrow eyes and low, hissing voice.

"How old are you?" Dr. Brenner asked, notepad in hand.

"None of your damn business, psycho," Richie hissed, only to feel a jolt of electricity run through his veins, pulling a shriek from his lips. "What the fuck was that?!"

"I had some of the technicians who stayed loyal to the Hive rewire this machine. They're not as good as Ben Hanscom or William Denbrough, but they go the job done. Basically, if you lie or protest, the shocks get worse. So don't lie to me this time," Dr. Brenner said in a low voice, making Richie pull harder at the restraints. "Now, how old are you?"

"Eighteen," Richie snarled through his teeth, grinding them together in anger.

"How did you end up working for the Hive?"

"I got hit by a car and they didn't want to kill me." Richie spoke in a small voice, trying to give as little information possible while still telling the truth.

"Who specifically?" Dr. Brenner asked, the evil in his eyes sparkling.

"Eddie, Stan, Bev, and Mike. They're the first ones I met."

"Did you ever pledge loyalty to the Hive?"

Richie remembered the thoughts that ran through his head that day, and felt his heart rate pick up.

Eddie had giggled from beside Richie, who found himself smiling a little bit.

"Okay, I have only one more question. Even though you don't know what you're getting yourself into, and you really don't know what's going on, will you swear your allegiance to this organization and work with us?"

"Work with them? I don't know. Work with you, Eds? For sure," Richie had thought to himself, before answering yes.

"Richard?" Dr. Brenner asked, sounding impatient.

"Yes. I did," Richie said quietly. A shock ran through him, and he wailed, the pain getting worse.

Dr. Brenner narrowed his eyes. "How did you pass the test without pledging loyalty?"

Richie smirked, despite the pain coursing through him. "I found a loophole. I pledged to work with the Hive, not for them. And I pledged my loyalty to Eddie, not to this hellhole," he snarled.

Dr. Brenner, to Richie's disappointment, smiled at him. "You're smarter than I thought. Seems like I need to make my questions yes or no, so I get a definite answer."

"Fuck fuck fuck," Richie thought to himself, knowing he'd be screwed if Brenner asked about his mental contact with El or about his attempts to tip off the government about the Hive.

He didn't get that lucky.

"Have you had any contact with Eleven?"

"Nope," Richie said, only to scream when another shock hit him, and he watched Brenner scribble something on his notepad.

"Do you know where she is?"

"No," Richie gasped, tears streaming down his face, thankful for the lack of shock.

"Have you tried to contact anyone since coming here?"

"No."

Another shock.

"Who have you tried to contact?"

Richie shut his mouth, not saying anything. He was not going to break, but it was tempting as the shocks grew more frequent, making him shake in pain, screaming so much he could barely breathe.

Dr. Brenner was not pleased by his unwillingness to obey. He walked toward the door to the room and opened it, beckoning Donald and Zack inside, who eyed Richie. He could swear he almost saw Zack look regretful. They whispered quietly, but it wasn't necessary. The machine was too loud anyway.

Richie whimpered as another shock hit him, now for no reason other than his refusal to talk. Finally, the shocks stopped and the machine turned off, leaving Richie crying and choking on air, his head throbbing and hair staticky from the nonstop electricity.

"Bring him back to his room. We launch the missiles tomorrow. Make sure he and the other hostages sleep well." The doctor paused to look at Richie with an evil smile. "We wouldn't want them to miss the show."