Chapter Twelve

Talia

I WATCHED THE frail light engulf the inky darkness, diminishing all the unhappiness and misery that had risen with the moon. Only silence lingered in the air as the sun took its first breaths of the day. I shivered at the chilliness; the October weather slithering its way through the air.

Ever since I'd arrived to the West a few weeks ago, I'd grown accustomed to waking up at 4 a.m. I had long ago asked Esmerelda to set a chair so I could have a place to sit outside on the balcony as I watched the sun rise.

I was never a morning person. Not until I came here. When Esmerelda began knocking on my door at exactly 5:45 a.m. every morning, reminding me to catch up to Kyros, I had eagerly begun setting my alarm every day.

When I had mistakenly pulled an all-nighter on the balcony and caught the sun rise at 4 a.m; I immediately knew there hadn't been anything as peaceful as watching the sun rise. So I made it routine to do so.

Morphing into a morning person wasn't the only change that being mated to Kyros bestowed upon me, my flurry of emotional instability had been high up on the list. My wolf had been on edge for a long time, blocking me out on some days when we didn't receive much contact from Kyros.

Kyros had remained stoic and expressionless as much as he possibly could. I'd attempted to get closer to him a few times; my attempts were, of course, useless. Kyros refused to get closer to me. I tried to be patient, even though I knew I wasn't obligated to. More importantly, I wanted to give Kyros a chance, I wanted to give us a chance before I gave up on him.

After all, the Moon bounded our souls together for a reason.

A knock on my door interrupted my Kyros-filled thoughts, his presence in my mind pushed back, waiting to be remembered again. I took my phone out and checked the time. 5:45 a.m.

I knew it was Esmerelda.

Lifting myself from my chair, I slid the balcony doors shut as I turned the knob and looked away immediately, to pick out my outfit for the day.

"So, Esmerelda, I was thinking maybe we could see the d–"

When she stayed silent, I began wondering why. I turned around and furrowed my eyebrows. "Wha–"

"Adonis! You're here!" I beamed, a grin plastered across my face as I reached my arms out to embrace him. He chuckled beneath my hold, wrapping his arms around my shoulders in return.

I pulled back, my goofy grin still hanging loosely on my lips. "Wheres Nicos?"

Adonis pursed his lips, a sympathetic look splattered across his expression.

I frowned, "You're giving me that look. Is he... in danger?"

Adonis grinned, "No! Moon forbid! He's training to be a warrior."

I gasped, "He's a member of your pack now?"

Adonis nodded, puffing his chest in pride, "A warrior of the North. Dedicated, he is. His ceremony was a week ago."

I stood there, my mouth agape. Most Alphas would never let a Celestial be apart of their pack, let alone train to be a warrior. Celestials brought immense danger to packs and most Alphas wouldn't risk the chance of bringing one in.

Being a warrior in a pack also meant Nicos was giving up on his Celestial training, which didn't surprise me. Nicos hated being a Celestial.

"Blessed by the Moon? More like Cursed by the devil!" Nicos was a phrase he used to vocalize all the time.

I smiled weakly, slightly disappointed that I had only just heard about it. "Is he happy?"

"He is."

I sighed, "Then I'm happy for him."

Adonis nodded, changing the subject and turning to me in an expectant glance, "Hes chosen his path... have you chosen yours?"

I looked away when I realized he had been referring to Kyros, feeling a tinge of embarrassment as I admitted, "I'm trying. I'm starting to think it isn't my path though..."

Adonis furrowed his eyebrows, "Talia. Don't give up on him yet. He needs you more than he  thinks he does."

I dropped my head and kept my gaze at my feet and fiddled with my fingers.

A few seconds felt like hours when we kept our silence. Unspoken words carried by the flow of our bodies as I didn't dare look at him.

"Breakfast?" Adonis asked, grinning, breaking our silence.

I nodded, shuffling my feet as I scrambled to leave through the door and followed him out.

We made our way down to the second floor and reached the kitchen in a flash. That all too familiar flutter filled the spaces of my chest until it halted my breaths.

Kyros.

Aside from stiff, awkward glances at each other during our daily breakfast gatherings, Kyros chose to avoid me like the plague. But I knew Adonis would make us talk... and that's what I feared.

The mere presence of him still managed to make me feel like a 17 year old once again... not that I remembered what that felt like anymore.

"Hows your training going?" Adonis quizzed as we took our seats; Adonis taking a seat across from Kyros and next to mine.

I pursed my lips and thought about it before I spoke, "It was hard at first. Especially since I was alone, but Alaricus is really patient with me so, I guess that helps."

(incase you forgot: Alaricus is the Warlock that was brought in to help Talia with her powers)

From my peripheral vision, I could faintly distinguish the whitened, clenched knuckles of Kyros he gripped the fork with.

Adonis turned to him, smirking, "Is there a problem?"

Kyros narrowed his grey eyes at Adonis, gritting his teeth and growling in disdain.

I bit my lip to stop from laughing at his reaction.

"Adonis." I said, unable to to contain the grin on my face.

"Talia." He countered, grinning back.

Adonis and I were immediately thrown into a fit of giggles, laughing uncontrollably as Kyros held his gaze on me the whole time. 

"When's your next training session?" Adonis asked, popping a slice of green apple into his mouth.

"Actually... today," I said, glancing at my wrist watch as I got up from my seat.

"I should be getting ready now."

"I'll see you later," Adonis waved and I looked away just in time to see Kyros punch Adonis in the gut.

"Ow!" was the the last thing I heard as I made my way up the stairs.