『14』

𝚡𝚢𝚕𝚊 𝚊𝚔𝚎𝚢𝚕𝚊 𝚜𝚖𝚒𝚝𝚑
【𝚡𝚢 𝚘𝚛 𝚔𝚎𝚢】

"So when do you leave for school?" T-boo asked me as she rocked a sleeping hasani in her arms

"August 19th."

Unlike a lot of other people around my neighborhood, I actually wanted to go to school to better myself.

I didn't want to end up like everyone else around here. Society had already set us up to fail but I refused to let that stop me.

Like my momma, I graduated at the top of my class and I had scholarships piled on top of each other.

At first, I had my mind made up that I wasn't going to go to college. I had things to do, my momma needed my help around the house.

That was quickly tossed out of the window when she found out. She didn't want me to let my gifts go to waste.

I got a full ride to howard university, my dream college and I knew I had to take it.

I wasn't sure of my major at the moment, but I knew that whatever I picked would be the right choice for me.

T-boo was in school too, graduating a year before me and was already going into her second year at a school for cosmetology.

She did people's hair, nails and other things all while staying in school. Honestly, she was one of the best around here and people came from every side to get dolled by her.

I'm not the one to knock anyone's hustle but I didn't understand most of the niggas we hang around.

I know they say that school ain't for everybody and I get that. Trapping shouldn't have to be for everybody around here either.

They wonder why all our people are locked up or dead and it's because they already have us set up to fail.

I want to see somebody change that, make them think differently.

You ain't gotta sell and stay in the streets just to make a living, they don't want to hear that though.

I want to see our excellence shine. Black doctors, lawyers, professors. Everybody has potential to be something.

Take this for example, von is my bestfriend. He was the coldest person I knew when it came to basketball, ranked 10 in the entire country and he threw all that away to pick up a gun.

My brother was a good student. Graduated with an 3.85 gpa but went the wrong way, now he's dead because he wanted to be something he didn't have to.

"I'm proud of you." My momma's voice broke me away from my thoughts.

"Me too Xyla. You're going to shine your light, bright enough that everybody can see it."

"She really is. I knew what my baby was capable of the moment I gave birth to her."

"I love y'all." I really did, they were my rocks.

"You know your brother planned on going to college?" My mom looked between T-boo and I causing us to look at her.

"What?"

"Yep, he was going to go to UAB. He wanted to be a doctor..." I was shocked because she had never told me anything about this.

"A doctor..." T-boo whispered from her seat.

"Mhmm. Until he started hanging around this boy...what was his name? Ummm, Vonte."

"Vonte? Ian ever heard of a Vonte. Have you Xyla?" I shook my head, just as confused as she was.

"He was a few years older. He came to the house a few times when you weren't here Akeyla."

"That name isn't ringing any bells."

"Oh, well don't worry about who he was. Just know, your brother used to hang around him with that Milli boy."

"He didn't have a nickname or something they called him?"

"I think I heard your brother call him TK a few times."

"Ask Von if he knows somebody named TK." I pulled out my phone, finding Von's number and calling him.

"Bestfrienddddd. Wassup with it?"

"Von... do you know anybody named Vonte? Some people called him TK."

"Uhhh, why?"

"Answer the question."

"TK? Nah, I don't know no nigga by the name of TK."

"Bye."

"How the fuck? You just gone ask me some shit then dip? Momo got you gone crazy."

"Don't talk about my fish."

I sighed before hanging up the phone and looking back to T-boo. "He doesn't know anybody."

"Damn"

"Watch that mouth." My momma scolded her while smacking her in the back of the head.

"What else you know about this ma?"

"Girl not much. Your brother was hanging around this TK boy for a little bit. He would always come in and speak to me when he had the chance." She stopped for a second.

"One day, they were arguing outside. I tried to see what was going on but your brother told me to go back in the house. Milli and Vonte were mad at him about something."

"Milli? For what?"

"I believe it was because he wanted to college. I'm still not sure, but you know how these young men are these days. They fight sometimes and get over it."

"Yea, you're right ma."

-
short little chapter to give y'all deeper insight into xyla's character. this not finna be your typical story.

+

i added something else on to help build up the story...