Chapter 9

"Mum?" I yawn, stretching.
"Yeeeesss?" Mum sings. Jesus, someone's in a good mood.
"Can I... Ask you something?" I ask, curious.
"Fire away." Mum leans across the table, giving me her undivided attention.
"Why EXACTLY did you and dad break up?" I ask, hoping that this time she answers. Every time I go near the subject she becomes extremely vague, but this morning she seems pretty chirpy.
Mum sighs, her mood already depleting. "Do you really want me to explain? From the beginning?" She asks.
I sigh. "Yes..."
Mum takes in a breath. "Okay. I'll start from the start." She clears her throat.
"Is this going to be long-"
Mum holds up a hand to silence me. "Dad and I were young when we married. We were eighteen, but we were so sure of our love that it didn't matter. We didn't stop to think for one moment that everything would fall apart." Mum gets into it, her dramatic side coming on. "I got pregnant with you when I was nineteen. Your father was a bit unsure. He wanted to have more time with me, instead of rushing around after kids all the time. But, I talked to him, and soon enough he was okay with it, and we had you.
"When I got cancer, your father was furious. He yelled at me and left that night. I didn't see him for ages- I thought he'd left for another county.
"I didn't blame him. If I were in his position, I probably would have done the same thing. But I was still... Disappointed." Mum finishes.
"So... Basically he broke up with you because he's a dickrash?" I ask, simplifying what mum just said.
"Pretty much."
I laugh, even though I know it's a sad story. Sighing, I stand up. "As much as I'd like to stay, I have school in the morning."
Mum groans. "Fine. Leave me here alone... To rot..."
I stop. "Wait... You're letting me stay home from school again?"
Mum shrugs. "You only live once, right?"
My eyes widen. "Seriously?"
"... Which is why education is so important."
Damn it, I should have known there would be a catch.
Sighing, I pick up my bag. "See you..."
Mum waves, looking smug in her wheelchair. "Bye!"
***
I wake up to someone yelling beneath my window.
"RIDER!!!"
I yawn, wiping sleep from my eyes. Whoever dared to wake me up at this hour has a death wish.
I somehow manage to get myself out of bed, and make my way over to the window. Below me is quite the scene.
Kyle is sat on a chair surrounded by roses, violets and cake. He wears a tux, and is holding a guitar.
"Roses are red, violets are blue..."
Shit, he's not actually going to sing, is he?
"Sugar is sweet, and so are yoooouuuuuu!!!!!" Kyle finishes, taking his bow.
I sigh. "But Kyle, the roses are wilting, the violets are dead, the sugar pot is empty and so is your head." I smile before continuing. "Also, roses are red, here's something new: violets are violet, not fucking blue!"
Kyle laughs, obviously not getting my point. "What I'm really trying to say, is that..." Kyle clears his throat, ready to begin.
Oh shit.
"Roses are red, Violets are blue
That's what they say, but it just isn't true
Roses are red, and apples are too
But violets are violet, violets aren't blue
An orange is orange, but Greenland's not green
And pinkies aren't pink, what does it mean?
To say something's blue when it isn't, defiles it
But oh, what the hell, it's hard to rhyme 'violet'
So you see that when I was a complete dick
It was just me being a little thick
You're beautiful rider, you need to know that
Now please forgive me for being such a... Hat?" Kyle sings in his awesome voice.
I groan, collapsing on the window sill. "Roses are sometimes red,
But who gives a shit,
I'm to tired to rhyme, because you woke me up at 5 O'FUCKING CLOCK IN THE BLOODY MORNING TO SING SOME CHEESY SONG ABOUT FLOWERS???"
Kyle hides behind his chair. "I brought cake?"
I grab my bedside table lamp, ripping it out of its socket before flinging it at the chair Kyle was hiding behind. Kyle screams as it smashes around him. I scream, fitting the image of a psychopath perfectly.
I sigh. "Okay, with that cheesy song you're forgiven for being a dick in the past, but waking me up at FIVE O'CLOCK in the morning just lost you thousands more points then you got!" I finish, before slamming the window and turning back into my bedroom.
I jump back in fright. "Gosh dad, you scared the crap out of me!"
Dad stands in the centre of the room, holding his hunting gun. "Do you want me to shoot him?"
Hmm, tempting, but... "No, it's okay. He's... A friend." I choke out the last word.
Dad shrugs, then leaves the room. "Get ready for school!" He calls out over his shoulder.
I walk back to the window. Kyle isn't there anymore. All there is is a wolf heading back out into the forest.
Wait... Holy shit, that's my wolf!
Could it actually be Kyle?
Shaking my head, I look over at the clock. There's ages before I have be at school. I've made sure to do turn the clocks because of daylight savings.
I quickly get dressed, rather quickly for the morning. I somehow manage to skip down the stairs. I walk over to dad, sipping the orange juice he prepared me.
"Dad..." I begin, twirling hair around my finger. "Do you know anything about... Strange wolves?"
"What kind of, 'strange wolves?'" Dad asks.
I sigh. "Like... Wolves that are humans."
"Like... Werewolves?"
"Yes, kind of." I say, finishing my juice.
Dad rolls his eyes. "Aren't you the one that was obsessed with twilight for a while? You're still obsessed with... um... Was it, 'Teen Wolf?'"
I groan. "I didn't think you'd know anything. Come on, let's get to school and surprise everyone with my earliness!"
***
Okay, what is it this time? Why is there no one here?
"Dad..." I whisper. "Why is there no one here?"
"I don't know. I made sure to change the clocks-"
"No, I made sure!" I interrupt.
"I did!"
"I did!"
"I DID!!!"
It takes a moment for it to sink in that I'm an hour late.
I hurriedly kiss dad goodbye. "See ya!" I say, slamming the door. Dad drives away, and I run to get to class.
I swear, I am cursed. Can I not arrive on time for once?
***
As usual, school was boring as shit. And trust me, shit is pretty boring apart from the fact that it stinks.
As I walk up my driveway, I can't help but sneak a glance over at Kyle's house. I've kind of been hoping to run into him lately.
There's someone outside the house, but it's not Kyle. He's to young to be Kyle's parents, yet he's someone with a very familiar face...
"Dale?" I ask, putting down my bag and walking over to the fence.
"Hey, I remember you!" Dale (aka: Sex God 2) walks over to meet me at the fence. "You were the girl at the club, right?"
I smile. "Yes. Sorry about that, by the way. I've never been good with alcohol." I look behind him at the house. "What are you doing here? Are you a friend of Kyle's?"
Dale looks behind himself, following my gaze. "I live here." He simply states.
I give him a look of confusion. "Are you Kyle's brother?"
"That... Would be me."
That must be why he was getting a bit jealous as I was watching Kyle sing.
"How come I haven't seen you here before?" I ask.
"I've been away for a while. Something to do with school." Dale replies.
I nod my head in understanding. "So, I guess I'll be seeing you around then?"
Dale winks. "See you."
As soon as he turns back around, I practically melt. In the dark of the club he was hot, but now, in dark blue jeans and a white shirt that shows off his muscles, he looks... Wow.
I wonder if he knows that Kyle is a werewolf? Well, is possibly a werewolf. I just want to believe that he is.
I pick my bag back up, walking inside.
Sitting on the couch is dad, bawling his eyes out.
===
Do you think Kyle is a werewolf?