48

Eddie cried all the way to the truck that the group had been told to take in order to escape the country. Joyce said it had belonged to the chief of police and left for El when she was able to drive, but she never learned when they left Hawkins.

Stan started the ignition, giving a small smile when he saw how well it ran, although it hadn't been used for a while.

El helped Eddie into the very back of the truck, patting his back as he sobbed. She knew what it was like to lose someone you loved, and knew Eddie needed the same comfort she didn't have when she had to leave her friends and lost her adopted father.

Eddie didn't hesitate to lean on El, who hugged him tightly.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, making Eddie sob harder.

"I... I love him.... and now I... have to leave," Eddie gasped out, sobbing between the words.

"Shhh, it'll get better. Someday, we can come back and you'll find him again."

"No I won't! He'll be dead!"

"He's smart, Eddie. So is Mike. They've fought monsters from other dimensions. They'll be okay."

Eddie shook his head and clumsily wiped away some of his tears. "No, they won't. There was a... there was a way to kill the monster. The Hive is everywhere. You told us that. You can't kill the Hive! And they hate us now and will kill them to hurt us!"

El tried to keep herself from being upset, but she blamed herself for what was happening. If she didn't need saving, then Eddie wouldn't have had to leave Richie behind. "I'm sorry. I'm so so so sorry," El whispered, feeling the weight of the situation pull her down.

"Don't blame yourself."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault." Eddie coughed and let out another sob, panting. He reached into his pocket instinctively, and was surprised to find an inhaler in it.

He pulled out the white inhaler with the blue mouthpiece and recognized it as the extra Richie had always carried around for him. The sight of it made Eddie break down again, dropping the object, the plastic hitting the ground and echoing through the back of the truck.

El didn't ask why he was sobbing again, but picked up the inhaler and wiped it off, before forcing it into Eddie's mouth so he could breathe properly.

Once he could breathe again, El put her hand on Eddie's shoulder, trying to comfort him again. She wasn't surprised when he weakly told her he was going to take a nap, instead assisting him laying down. El laid her head down as well, overwhelmed by everything that had happened in the past few days.

Rain pounded on the side of the truck, making it seem colder. It was cold and damp, but the sound of the rain helped lull the two distressed teenagers to sleep.

•••

Hours had passed since the ex-Hive members and El had departed, leaving the rest of the group under the lab.

Steve, Nancy, Robin, Jonathan, and Joyce had all left to spend time in town, allowing the younger teens to spend time together. Most of that consisted of everyone comforting Richie, who had started crying once the older group had climbed out of the depths of the lab.

"It's okay, it's okay," Mike said, rubbing Richie's back as he covered his face with his palms, refusing to look at anyone.

Mike felt guilty that Richie had chosen him over Eddie, even if he understood why. If the situation was different and there was no danger, there was no doubt in Mike's mind that Richie would have stuck with Eddie. Alas, the situation was the way it was, and no one was going to sway Richie to leave his own brother in danger.