Chapter 3

Jasmin liked to think she was a clean girl in a dirty world. She'd never done drugs, been pregnant; cut herself, or anything else. It was true she'd been fooling around with that Harold boy round the corner for no reason, and that she'd go a bit drunk every other weekend and wake up naked, but she was still virgin, wasn't she? She hadn't injected heroin into her blood. She hadn't burnt herself. She was good.

But she had AIDS.

It wasn't fair. The drug-crazed guys at work were all well and fine. That Monica Tyler who'd played around with fifty-some boys before she was fifteen had never had anything but a bad flu. All those horrible people round town were well and fine.

But Jasmin was dying.

She was sick of this town. She was sick of the mossy pavement, she was the sick of the old buildings, the poor maintenance, the people, everything. But it was a rule. No one came into Quentin, and no one left.

She'd had a good friend here and there. Emma was a lovely girl, maybe a little rude, but still lovely. Her cousin, Albert, was a good guy too. That group of clowns around work was fine people, but she was sick of them too.

She knew every one of the two thousand residents, and not a one seemed to be absolutely good.

And that was why the Stranger thrilled her.