3.03: chapter thirty-two

• Dedicated to jay baruchel

S C O T T

Coach Monroe was an extremely cool guy.

Monroe had been accepting of Elle and I, and, secretly, I was pretty sure that he even supported our relationships. And, despite me dating Elle, he treated me the exact same way during practice as he had before. In all, Monroe was a cool father-of-my-girlfriend and a cool coach.

But I wasn't sure how cool Monroe would be if he found out that I had secretly visited Elle when he told me not to.

I shot off the couch, head whipping around the room. Elle stood up and pushed me towards the back door, but I knew I wouldn't have enough time. I motioned Elle back towards the couch and dropped down on the floor, crawling behind a plant that was a few feet from the door. I quietly cursed and ducked behind the plant, angling my body as best I could to keep myself hidden.

I pushed a leaf to the side and Elle shot me an annoyed look. I bit my lip and let the leaf go, sliding down further behind the plant. It was ridiculously big, and the pot was big enough to cover up to my knees. I groaned under my breath and ducked my head down, pressing it against my knees.

"Elle!" Monroe said happily, and my heart thumped heavier with each footstep he took into the room, "How're you feeling? You look a lot better."

"I'm feeling great," Elle replied, and, through a gap in the leaves, I saw her turn her head not-so discreetly towards the plant I was currently ducking behind, "I'm actually feeling so good that I can probably leave the house soon."

I shook my head, fist pressed against the floor, "Fuck's sake," I mumbled, grimacing at the pain in my legs from crouching, "Way to be discreet."

I poked my head out the side of the plant, instantly pulling away when Coach Monroe dropped down onto the couch next to Elle. I closed my eyes, silently praying that he'd get up and decide he had to go somewhere, long enough to give me time to sneak out the back door. (I took a moment to realize it was kind of pathetic that I was planning to sneak out of my girlfriend's house).

"What were you watching?" Monroe asked, and I quietly pressed my face further against my knees, trying to keep my annoyed groan at bay, "I'll never understand why you watch reality TV."

"Neither will I," Elle said, and I awkwardly pushed two leaves apart to try and see what was happening. Monroe turned towards me and I left the leaves go, sinking further to the ground, "Hey, what about your TV upstairs? No reality TV on there, dad."

Coach Monroe went into a whole speech about how stupid reality TV was, and I just sat still, thanking God that he had noticed me yet. My legs were starting to cramp up, and I realized that I really needed a shower, but I stayed absolutely still. Monroe couldn't stay there forever.

"I'm getting something to eat," Monroe said, and I quietly whooped, "Want something?"

I heard the couch squeak - presumably because Monroe got up - and that was when everything went downhill.

My phone vibrated in my pockets and I hissed out in annoyance, pulling it from my pocket. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Monroe turned in my direction. I silently cursed and unlocked my phone, looking at the message Jay had sent me.

From Jay

dude I was watching tv and there was some guy and his name was scott wilson! ur practically famous, man. but he was a pretty scary looking dude, so i figured you guys were probably long-lost twins or some shit (btw i'm insinuating that you look scary)

I rolled my eyes and went to shove my phone in my pocket, but it slipped through my fingers and dropped onto the floor. Sweat dripped down my temple and my heart sped up as Monroe turned back away, eyes landing right on the goddamn plant.