Chapter 37 - Anchors

Stiles POV

I wake up with my hands instantly hitting a metal locker surrounding me. How the fuck did I get in a locker?

I hit the door over and over again trying to get it open, though it won't budge. I hit it a few more times and the door finally opens, the momentum throwing my body out into the dark locker room.

Completely confused and mildly freaked out, I frown at the reflection staring back at me and turn heading for the door.

Opening it I walk out into the hallway of the school, walking through the shadows of the hallways until I see a door open once I come around a corner.

I don't know what propels me to walk to the open door, however at the same time I don't question it.

As soon as I walk up to the door frame and look inside, I see the Nemeton in the middle of a thrown apart and trashed classroom.

The blinds on all the windows are all messed up, and the desks are thrown to one side of the room to make room for the massive tree trunk of the Nemeton.

Not sure why I'm not questioning the massive Nemeton being in a classroom instead of the preserve where it's been for however many years, I walk towards it– almost like I'm drawn to it.

I reach forward when my toes are a hair away from the roots.

Once my hand is hovering above it, vines snap out of the trunk and wrap around my hand pulling me towards it before I sit up in bed gasping for air, setting my hand on my chest as I try to catch my breath.

I feel the bed shift next to me as I pant out, trying to make sense of the dream when Addy sits up next to me and her voice breaks through my quick breaths "You okay?"

She rubs sleep out of her eyes with one hand while she sets the other on my arm pulling it closer to her when I don't answer her right away "Stiles?"

Feeling her comfort she always brings me, I exhale a deep breath– trying to calm down from the dream that felt so real.

I intertwine our fingers and rub my thumb against the back of her hand "Yeah, I was just dreaming. It was weird– it was like a dream within a dream–"

"Like an inception nightmare?" Her voice is soft yet thick with sleep and I'm momentarily distracted with how amazing it is to hear before I let out a soft chuckle at her reference and I nod towards her "Yeah, exactly like that–"

I turn more facing her, taking in her rustled with sleep waves and my shirt falling off her delicate shoulder. I smile softly at her as I tilt my head to the side– when it clicks, she shouldn't be here "Wait a second, Adds– what are you doing here?"

She makes her signature adorable confused face, scrunching up her nose in the way I have always loved, when the door to my bedroom creaks open– gaining all my attention.

Wanting to make sure she's safe, I give her small hand a squeeze and move to stand up "Hang on"

She stops me, tightening her hold on me– the fear evident in her voice, "Stiles, where are you going?"

"I'm just gonna close the door" I breathe out and she pulls me closer with her other plans "Let's just go back to sleep"

I have to make sure she's okay "No, no, I should close it"

"Don't worry about it" she moves her arm to rest her hand on my shoulder, however, my eyes never leave the door as I let her hand fall while I stand up "What if someone comes in?"

"Like who?– let's just go back to sleep, Sty..."

I keep walking forward as I add just above a whisper "No– but what if they get in?"