Good News

"Olivia, please come to my office," Mrs Jackson says to me.

Mrs Jackson is my social worker. I walk into her office, stamping my feet as I go. I don't really hate Mrs Jackosn, I just like giving her a her a hard time. That's the problem with me: I ruin good things.

"I have some good news," she announces cheerfully as I slump into one of the horrid purple chairs in her office. "What is it this time?" I drone, expecting her to tell me about another foster family who wants to take me in, only to leave me in six months when the realise I'm hard work.

"I have a family who is interested in you living with them permanently," she explains. Wow, I was not expecting that! I've been in foster care for six years and no one has every been interested in looking after me long term. I usually get sent back to the care home after six months.

I am still confused though, what exactly does she mean? "Like adopting?" I ask. "Yes but since you are sixteen, you will not legally be their child, they are just your carers. That isn't to say that down the line you couldn't choose to be adopted fully though," she tells me.

"Their name is the West family. You will be going to live with them on a two week trial. If all goes well, you will be able to live with them fully. Mrs West is coming to pick you up at 11:30 in the morning, so I would advise you pack tonight," she says sternly.

After leaving her room, I head straight upstairs. My first job is to pack all of my belongings. Thankfully, I don't have too many belongings since I'm always moving from foster home to foster home.

I pull my light blue suitcase and matching backpack out of my wardrobe. I throw belongings haphazardly into the suitcase: clothes, shoes, toiletries, coats, straighteners, my mother's jewellery. Then I pack up what's left of my room. I take my posters and pictures off the wall and put them in a box to be shipped so that they don't get damaged.

By the time I have finished packing, it's late and I'm exhausted so I quickly change into my Mickey Mouse pyjamas and brush my teeth. Eventually I flop into my single bed and fall asleep dreaming of my new family.

A/N: Hey beautifuls. How are you liking this so far? Let me know in the comments and vote of you can. It means a lot xxx