Chapter 14: Can't Go Back

It took a lot of convincing but when morning came Catra was successfully able to get Adora to go see a medic, now that the latter could actually walk that is. A good nights rest and a lot of painkillers would only get her so far.

To nobody's surprise, Adora had come back to her room a few hours later with a defeated look on her face.

"What'd they say?" Catra asked hesitantly but she already knew. She had spied on the appointment the whole time after all, but Adora didn't need to know that.

"The doctor says I should take it easy for the next two weeks before I get back into training again. The Queen agreed."

Catra sighed. She knew it was the last thing Adora had wanted to hear but it was probably for the best. Admittedly, she wasn't thrilled by the idea of Adora launching herself into battle without a care about her own health. This could be good for her.

"It'll go by quick," Catra made room for Adora to sit next to her on the bed. Adora absentmindedly complied.

"Not quick enough," Adora muttered. "They're going to do another raid on some of the surrounding areas of the territory we attacked yesterday."

"I'm sure they'll be fine on their own."

"You mean without me," Adora corrected before looking at Catra apologetically. "Sorry. You're not the one I'm mad at."

"Well that's new," Catra joked, trying to lighten the mood. "Guess I'll need to find something to piss you off about."

Adora stared at her for a moment, a wide smile plastered on her face. Despite the fact that Catra was glad to see she was happy, she couldn't help but tease her a little.

"What are you doing?"

"I can't laugh at your jokes now?"

"I meant the staring," Catra rolled her eyes but for a moment she thought she saw Adora blush as the girl looked away.

"I think I'm just tired," Adora played it off unconvincingly but Catra didn't want to question it.

"Then why don't you lay down like the doctor told you to," Catra pushed her lightly until Adora was lying on the bed. "You act like you don't want to heal."

"Well if I get healed," Adora pulled the blankets over her, already closing her eyes for a well-deserved nap, "Then I don't get to spend as much time with you."

"I'll manage," Catra stood up to walk away but only to hide her own redness in the face. Adora's probably just high off of her meds, Catra thought, refusing to think too deeply into it.

•••••

A week later, Adora found that her back was healing much faster than expected. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that she had Catra as a voice of reason by her side to keep her from doing anything stupid, but she wouldn't give Catra the satisfaction of knowing that. Regardless, Adora realized she wasn't as bothered that she was missing the fighting this time around.

When the night came, Adora was sure she had figured it out.

Adora had never felt so at peace when she was lying next to Catra. Nothing on the battlefield could ever compare to the silent rise and fall of Catra's chest beside her.

Adora found it hard to sleep most nights. When she closed her eyes, she was tormented with harsh words and high expectations, with guns and bombs and blood. So, when her nightmares would become too much, she'd fight off sleep as long as she could and simply enjoy the warmth that Catra brought her, a warmth that her cold visions never could.