𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Later that night

━━━I SNUGGLED UP IN MY BED,
a figure passing my through my doorway as I looked up. I pulled Dal's teddy bear closer to my chest.
"Night, kid." Two-Bit smiled.
"G'night, Two." I looked up at him with a half-hearted grin, trying to hide my gloom.
Two-Bit had always known when I was upset. Sometimes he could tell when I was upset better than Soda ever could.
"You okay?" He moved closer towards me.
"Two-Bit, can I tell you something?" I asked, looking up at him.
"Anything." He said.
He looked at me earnestly, giving me his undivided attention. That was pretty rare for him, so his eyes told me that he cared.

"Promise you won't tell anyone?"
"I pinky swear." He held out his pinky, as did I.
We interlocked fingers, and I smiled a him. I pat the spot next to my bed, he sits down.
"So what's up, Kid?" He asked.
"I don't know, I just-" my voice began to break. "I just feel like I can't talk about this."

"Talk about what, sweetheart?" He strung his arm around my shoulder.
"They're so mean, Two-Bit." I wipe a tear from my cheek. "The kids at school."
Two didn't say anything, he just kept listening.
"And I feel just so sad, all the time. And like no ones gonna like me because I'm just not as happy as I used to be."

"Hey-" He wiped a tear from my eye with his thumb.
"That ain't true."
"But it is!" I whine. "In the courtyard all the kids said stuff about me. The kinda stuff that Dal whispers when I'm around 'cuz he doesn't want me to hear. I just- ...wish I was normal." I huff, resting my head down on his lap.
"Well what's the fun in 'normal' anyways?" He pushed my hair away from my face, stroking it softly.

"I'm the only one who isn't normal, that's what."
"Hey, I'm not normal! Wouldn't ya rather be like me than the other kids at school?" He jokes, trying to lighten the mood.
"I think I'd rather be anyone else than me at this point." I joke, wiping another tear away.
"Ah, don't say that."
"I just want this day to end." I whisper.
"I know, kid. I know."

"It's okay to feel like this," He starts. "We're all here for you. No matter what."
"It's just like Elvis said, Moll. 'There's always me'."
I look up at him and smile.
"Huh?" He nudges me with his elbow, smiling.
"Look around and you'll see." He sings playfully, trying his best to make me laugh.

I giggle, leaning my head on the side of his arm, as I wasn't tall enough to reach his shoulder.
"Thanks, Two." I half smile.
He looks down at me, and does the same.

"I don't wanna go to bed." I sigh.
"Come hang with us. Darry n' Soda are in the livin' room."
"I dunno." I mumble.
"C'mon, I'm sure Darry won't mind, if that's what y're worried 'bout." He nudges.
"Alright, fine." I hesitate, smiling softly.

Together we tread to the living room, and Soda smiles at the sight of me.
"What're you doin' up this late, kiddo?" Darry questions.
"Couldn't sleep." I shrug.
He jerks his head up, signaling for me to sit with him. I obey, sitting between him and Sodapop.

"You wanna watch anythin' Moll?" Darry exhales.
"Football?" I smile, looking up at him.
"This is why you're my favorite." He snickers.
"Hey, what about me?" Soda pretends to frown.
I giggle, gazing up at him.

Two-Bit switches the TV on, tuning into to channel five, and parking himself in the recliner. He picks up a beer from the side table, popping the cap off with the top of his thumb.
He looked so cool whenever he did that, but I could never figure out how to do it myself. He tried to show me with a coke bottle, but I guess I'm just not strong enough.

The Houston Oilers were playing against The New York Jets, and we're rooting for the Oilers.

"You gotta get to bed after this quarter, alright?" Darry looks down at me, sternly.
"I know, I know." I sigh.
I'm pretty sure he says that every time we're watching something late at night, but he never means it.