xvi. the secret bus hideout

( Stranger Things, Season One )

The Bathtub

Chapter Sixteen: The secret bus hideout

"I mean, El managed to get out... Surely we can get back in?"

Eva's bike wobbled and wavered as they arrived at their hiding place. She was sure, had they continued any further, Silver would collapse on itself from exhaustion. Perhaps she would refill her tires with more air once she got a moment back at home.

Slowing to a stop, she clambered off. Her heart felt as though it was going to beat right out of her chest, and her legs were going to fall off. She so desperately wanted to collapse to the floor, but El needed help first. Her hands were clammy and shaky, but El gladly took the support from her to sit down.

"Holy— Holy shit! Did— Did you see what she did to that van?!" Dustin exlaimed, stammering over his words. He held his hand over his chest, trying to pull more air into his racing lungs.

"No Dustin, we missed it," Mike replied sarcastically, seeming the most unphased from their exerting bicycle journey. Via was lay dramatically on the floor. Eva presumed she was definitely about to pass out.

"I—I mean that was. . ." Dustin trailed off, unable to articulate the complex thoughts in his head from shock.

"...Awesome.. It was awesome," Lucas finished, his face full of awe, with a hint of sorrow. Lucas had clearly realised his mistakes, and the tone of regret he spoke with evidently showed that, "everything I said about you, being a traitor and stuff. . . I was wrong. I'm sorry,"

Eleven looked up at Lucas, the sun on her face highlighting the soft tears in her eyes after listening to Lucas' apology. She spoke softly, slowly regaining her sense of self after that whole ordeal, "friends. . . friends don't lie. I'm sorry, too."

"Me too," Mike added, starting a chain of 'me toos' from the rest of the group, reuniting in a collective hug and smile.

"So Lucas... What did you see?' Dustin asked.

"This is Randolph road right here, the fence starts here, and goes all the way around." Lucas had elected different discarded objects in the junkyard to demonstrate the locations. He drew in the sand all of the roads, paths and trees, "and this is the lab right here. The gates gotta be in there somewhere, it's gotta be."

"Well, who owns Hawkins' lab?" Dustin asked, exchanging looks with the the rest of the group.

"The sign says department of energy," Lucas replied.