39. The Most Important Letter Of My Life

I was running fast from something, my heart pounding in my throat. I didn't know what it was exactly, all I knew was that it chilled me to the bone and I had to get away from it. Fast!

Darkness surrounded the forest around me. The faint moonlight that seeped through the trees was barely enough to see where I was going. I had no idea where I was or how I'd gotten there. All I knew was that I had to keep running.

My foot got stuck behind a protruding root and I flew headfirst onto the hard soil, my fall only slightly softened by the bed of leaves that covered the ground.

I wanted to push myself up quickly, but an eerie sound behind me made my body freeze. Knowing it was better not to see, yet unable to resist the urge, I slowly turned my head around.

Terror struck me when I saw it. Only two paces away from me there stood a giant, black...

"Dusk!" I shouted at the arrogant cat-face that looked at me from beside my pillow. Instead of bolting, he licked his paw. Unbelievable.

Beaded in sweat I sat up in my bed, mentally shaking of my nightmare, and turned on my bedroom light. Looking around my room comforted me. Outside I heard the faint noise of distant traffic.

It was just a dream, Evelyn. You're not in a forest but safe and sound in London.

The Christmas holiday had started two days ago. I'd been a bit uncertain about where I was supposed to go. I hadn't talked to my foster parents since summer; I could hardly send them an owl, right? Besides, I wouldn't know what to tell them anyway. Imagine my relief when I saw both Aunt Jeanie and Uncle Eric waiting for me at platform 9¾ when the Hogwarts Express arrived. They'd welcomed me with big hugs and kisses and told me I could stay with them for the holidays, if I'd like.

Of course that's what I want. A smile crossed my lips. I'd been too distracted with school and stuff up until now, but the peace and quiet in my room - and the fact that I was finally alone, something that's quite difficult at Hogwarts - gave me some time to think. I couldn't believe how lucky I'd been these last few months. Suddenly, I was filled with a gush of warmth at the thought of all the new memories I'd made.

"Meow!"

Dusk cuddled up in my lap, demanding attention the way only a cat can.

"Yes, I'm also very grateful for you, my friend," I smiled as I cuddled his head.

Well, I guess it's true what they say; Christmas really is a time to be grateful.

Still a bit drowsy, I fell asleep again not long after. Until a few hours later when I woke up to the smell of freshly baked bacon. Dusk had already left my lap.

Of course she has, she's probably already groking for a piece of bacon.

I got up from the bed and put on my hand-knit Christmas sweater that I unwrapped last night. Aunt Jeanie had made it herself, she'd proudly announced. I hadn't the heart to tell her that that was clearly visible. It was bright red - Aunt Jeanie said I already owned enough green clothes - and it had what I supposed was the face of a reindeer on it.

Hideous as it was, I was proud to wear it. No one had ever made anything for me and it meant the world to me that Aunt Jeanie had gone through so much trouble for me.

"Morning!" I yelled as I entered the kitchen. Uncle Eric was wearing his apron as he was slaving away for a delicious Christmas breakfast. And, as expected, Dusk was lying on a nearby chair eying Uncle Eric surreptitiously.

"Good morning, dear!" Uncle Eric greeted me back. "Would you mind setting the table? Breakfast is almost ready."

After I'd set up the table, we all took our seats to enjoy the lavish breakfast. Aunt Jeanie came from the living room with a mysterious smile on her face. When I asked her about it, all she said was that I had to be patient. And you know, for once, I was.

When breakfast was done it was finally time to move to the living room. The Christmas tree was decorated with white garlands and electric lights. A star on top of the tree tastefully completed the scene. I welcomed the sight of a Muggle-style Christmas tree. It felt a lot safer than the candle-lit ones at Hogwarts.

Several gifts were stacked underneath the tree. They'd been there ever since I'd arrived and it'd been excruciatingly difficult for me not to tear them open sooner. However, now that it was finally time to open them, I felt a bit sad that my Christmas experience would soon be over.

"Hey, that wasn't there before," I wondered as I looked at a white envelope lying on top of one of the gifts.

"Save that one for last, dear," Aunt Jeanie said with another mysterious smile.

I fought the urge to open the envelope right at that moment and instead handed Aunt Jeanie the present I'd gotten her at Hogsmeade.

"A never-empty biscuit jar!" she happily exclaimed after she'd unwrapped it. Uncle Eric looked very happy too. I was certain this gift would be well-used.

Next, it was Uncle Eric's turn to unwrap his gift.

"A chess set! Thank you, Evelyn," he said with a smile.

"It's not just any chess set, Uncle Eric," I beamed. "It's magical chess! We can play a game later, if you'd like?"

"That sounds wonderful," Uncle Eric said as he turned around the play set in his hands, probably trying to find out what was so magical about it and taking out one of the pawns.

"Oy, stop tickling me!" the pawn in his hands giggled. Uncle Eric's mouth dropped open and after an apology carefully placed the pawn back into the box.

"Now it's your turn, dear," Aunt Jeanie said and I wanted to grab the white envelope. "No, not yet. Your other gift first, Evelyn."

Aunt Jeanie handed me a long, rectangular-shaped package. It was heavier than I expected and impatiently I got rid of the wrappings.

I gasped when I saw what Uncle Eric and Aunt Jeanie had gotten me.

"A broomstick!" I cried while I held the elegant object in my hands. My heart pounded in my chest. Do they actually expect me to fly out of my own free will?!

"I'm glad you like it, dear." Aunt Jeanie had obviously misinterpreted my response. "We'd thought you might like to have your own broom, seeing how you wrote us so passionately about flying and how well it went."

Yeah, because I was exaggerating!

"Thanks! Perhaps I could even join the Quidditch team next year."

Stop it, Evelyn! Just stop it!

"Your mother would be so proud if she knew," Aunt Jeanie said with some emotion in her voice.

Right. My Mum...I'd forgotten all about that...

"Thanks," I said again and this time I meant it.

Uncle Eric cleared his throat. "Well, that leaves one more gift, Evelyn, dear."

"Right!" I took the envelope and slowly opened it. My fingers were still a bit shaky after the bomb that'd just went off in my chest at the sudden mentioning of my Mum.

There was an official looking letter inside. I creased my brow as I had no idea what it meant. I looked up at my Aunt and Uncle, eyebrows raised.

"What's this?"

Aunt Jeanie smiled. "It's your adoption certificate, Evelyn. We've adopted you."