Chapter VI

Shane mingled with the crowd but his thoughts were on the kite lady, Rosalyn. He tapped his flute glass with his long lean fingers as his mind was distracted trying to unravel the mystery behind his current crush. She looked so different at the party from the first time he laid eyes on her. Her natural beauty stood out and her demeanor was that of a high profiler, however her personality was a total contrast, humble and grounded. Someone who was not drawn to the spotlight scene, unfazed by fame.

He had a perception that was the reason she hid behind her books despite being a best seller novelist. He was personally coerced to read them after he could not stand his sister's praises on them any longer. He was fortunately asked just recently to write and produce two songs for the upcoming movie on her first book, talk of coincidence!

He had neither met the movie crew nor the book author, he never thought it was important to waste his time like that, he had a business to run. Music was a developed hobby, he had a college degree in actuarial science and he grew a successful company with it. But now he had a vested interest in the movie and he always pursued his interests.

He craned his neck when she caught his eye at a forty five degree angle. She was surrounded by female actors and they were chatting animatedly. He had no doubt they were sweet talking her for the lead role in her movie, he knew for certain that space was unfilled. Just the other day his sister had requested him to get it for his ex- girlfriend Karyle. He had put his foot down and outrightly said no. The woman was a menace and would ruin the most anticipated block buster of the year. He did not want to be associated to that sociopath anymore. That memory alone just left a sour taste in his mouth.

He stared straight at Rosalyn and he felt an odd sensation when their eyes locked. It seemed she was gazing at him too. She fit right in with the divas but he could sense her discomfort, almost like she did not want to be here. He nodded at her, finding himself gravitating towards her. He was almost shocked to find her strutting towards him too, eyes still on each other, as the world around them faded into oblivion.
They stood a few steps away from each other, their breathes shallow.

"Would you grant me the honor of strolling with you in the garden?" he croaked.
"I charge by the hour." she suggested venomously.

His eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. "I am sorry for my rude behavior earlier, that was wrong of me." He apologized "But please walk with me." He stretched out his hand for her.

" Only if you promise to watch your mouth." she countered.
"I do." He whispered and the gentleness in his voice threw her off. She found herself nodding and placing her hand in his larger one. She felt unidentified emotion wash over her.

Erica was engrossed in a deep discussion when the duo caught her eye, she was baffled by their intertwined hands, her eyes glinted with joy as she watched them escape to find a quiet private moment and her lips curved upward in a dazzling smile.
It has begun... She pondered ecstatically.

Rosalyn felt safe and enjoyed the warmth emanating from their hand holding. She quietly followed him as he led them to a secluded area on the privately owned clear sunny beach.

"I thought we were headed for the garden, just close by..."
"The media perps cannot get this far, we are safe here." He assured her with that deep masculine voice.

" That's nice to hear, thanks." She felt comforted, removing her hand from his hold and tucked strands of hair behind her left ear. He took it back and held it right after.

" What are you doing?" She asked softly.
" Holding your hand of course." He replied casually like it was the most obvious thing.
"But..." she started to argue but decided against it from the stern look he was giving her.

" So Rosalyn..." her name rolled out of his lips in the most beautiful way. "Why are you here?" He asked.

"Why do you ask?"
" It appeared like you were looking for an escape route to run away from the party." he pointed out.
" My editor-cum- agent literally threatened to cut me off." She confessed between sprouts of laughter.
He grinned at the wondrous captivating sound, "Those dictatorial buffoons!" He jested with his left hand raised in defiance.
"Don't tell Erica I said so though, God bless her sweet soul." He added hastily.
She laughed some more and he joined in, theirs being the only sounds heard for miles apart from the flying sea gulls and light waves of the ocean.
" We wouldn't want you to be removed from her good graces." She joked.

The moment was perfect and Rosa felt light in her chest that she had never experienced before, finding happiness in the little things with someone else was a rare occurrence to her.

They walked leisurely in a comfortable silence either of them in their own heads.
Shane cleared his throat in an attempt to draw her back to their present moment. She lifted her eyelids and their eyes locked for the second time that day. She could not pull away, it was almost magnetic.

"So what do I get for saving you?" he croaked.
"Saving me?" She asked softly, her irises expanding.
"Anha...from the vultures back there." he breathed pointing a thumb in the direction of the villa.
"Well..." she bit her lip unconsciously and Shane found himself drawing her towards him in one fluid motion halting them in place. She raised her head still looking in his eyes. She could see the desire burning in them as clear as it shown in her own.