7.20

A WORD OF WARNING

so this chapter is so fucking long, like over 4200 words !! its probably best to read in one sitting too so if ur out and about maybe save it till u get home. this is one of the last chapters in this book and i spent fucking hours on it so it would be appreciated gr8ly if you could comment heaps and tap the lil star at the bottom left corner of ur screen :) thanks lovessss

much to the dismay of the audience, who were cheering and wolf-whistling to their hearts content, johnny and mackenzie walked off the stage after their shared kiss. mackenzies cheeks were a bright red– she wasn't sure whether that had to do with the fact that she was embarrassed over their oh-so-obvious PDA or whether johnny's presence had made her go all tingly inside. she suspected maybe it was a little bit of both.

johnny tentatively reached for mackenzies hand as they started to walk to the backstage room together– neither of them had said a word since johnny's desperate plea, but there was no need. they knew each other inside out, and even now, they'd casually fallen back to their old routines without realizing. with them? everything was natural, and as easy as breathing.

after kenzie smiled closed-lipped at him, she slotted their fingers together, squeezing tight. when they reached the room and everyone started tripping over themselves in order to congratulate them, he squeezed back, obviously overwhelmed with the sudden attention. he didn't even need to say the words and kenzie knew he was itching to be alone with her, however they stayed, both of them continuing to radiantly thank people and blush as their acts were complimented.

"you must be so proud." austin said to johnny teasingly, referring to kenzie's absolutely stunning dance routine.

johnny looked at kenzie, who leaned closer to him and let her head fall on his shoulder. "i'm so proud. more than words can explain."

mackenzie reached up and kissed his cheek as a thank you.

austin made a face and laughed. "i can tell you two need to make up for lost time. just go– get out of here! you'll see everyone at the after-party anyway."

mackenzie giggled and looked up at johnny, wrinkling her nose. "do you think it's socially acceptable for us to go?"

"it depends what we use that time to do." johnny grinned and she thwacked him on the arm.

"johnny!" mackenzie chastised, embarrassed.

austin used this line to bow out of the conversation. "i better go get ready, so i'll see you guys around, yeah?"

"yeah. thanks austin." mackenzie smiled, nodding.

"you're both definitely going to the party?" he asked sternly.

"yes mate, we're going." johnny laughed. "see you there."

"okay, bye!" austin bidded, and with a wave, he was gone.

the pair then turned towards each other, questioning looks on their faces. both of them wanted to leave, but were clearly worried what people would think if they did. they didn't want people to think oh look, there goes johnny and kenzie again, as if they were constantly ditching their friends. that had happened in the past, but during their break, they'd learned more about romantic relationships than they had during their time together, and now knew that their friends had feelings too. in order to not hurt each other, they would have to be mindful of their friends feelings too.