25

Everett made three stops before finally heading to the Wardman Park Hotel to get some rest. First, he went to the jewelers, then to the florist. Technically, Everett had gone to four florists before he'd found the buttercups Elyria said were her favorite, but he only counted it as one official stop. From there, he stopped at a small bakery that made chocolate croissants he'd grown rather fond of over the past few days.

Once at the hotel, he shocked the front clerk by smiling at him. How could he not when he'd spent all night with the woman he loved? Even the 'Out of Order' sign hanging crookedly on the elevator didn't dim his mood like it had the past two days he'd been there.

He would have bounded up the stairs to his room if he could have. But his leg didn't want to cooperate and only allowed a pained limp that grew worse with each step until he ascended the entire fourteen steps and traversed down the hall.

By the time he closed the door behind him, he wasn't even sure he'd be able to move another inch, let alone make it to the bed.

Muttering his favorite expletive, he placed the bouquet of yellow buttercups by the lamp on the small console near the door. Then he bit back a groan and hobbled the shorter distance to the overstuffed chair.

Upon sitting with a relieved sigh, he removed the jeweler's box from his pocket with his left hand and massaged his thigh with his right. Flicking the box open with his thumb, he stared at the ring sparkling back at him and couldn't help but smile.

Elegant with a subtle floral filigree band, tiny diamonds sparkled throughout the leaves that widened and embraced the two-carat diamond at its center.

Resting his head against the chair, he closed his eyes, let out a pleased sigh, then snapped the box shut and placed it securely back in his pocket.

Now, he just needed to make it official and ask her to marry him. She'd say yes, of that he had no doubt, but would she want a long engagement?

He frowned. That could mean he'd be returning to Idaho alone, which simply wouldn't do. How much time did it take to plan a wedding? It couldn't take more than a week or two, maybe three at best. And there were only three weeks until he needed to be back for the start of school.

Perhaps he could persuade her to make theirs a two-week engagement followed by a week of honeymooning? He covered a yawn and settled deeper into the chair, giving himself over to sweet dreams of Elyria when sleep finally claimed him.

Sometime later, Everett awoke with a start and checked the time. He stared at the hands of his watch in horror that proclaimed him to be a half-hour late and jumped to his feet, only to crash to the floor with a yowl of pain when his right leg gave out.

He blinked and pushed himself up in a daze just as a muscle spasm hit with such blinding agony it stole his breath. Curling his legs to his chest, he held tight to his thigh and prayed for the torture to end.

But it grew worse and worse. Biting back a curse, he pressed his sweaty brow to the floor and dug his fist into the knot until finally it eased. Then he lay flat on his back with his heart racing and limbs trembling.

Unsure how he managed it, twenty minutes later, Everett sat in his car with his bouquet and trembling limbs, sweating profusely and fighting the urge to vomit. When he pulled up in front of number 224, he almost felt back to normal.

However, when he faced the eight steps leading to her front door, he wanted to fall to his knees and weep. He couldn't do it, at least not in his current state. It was a miracle he'd made it this far.

"Captain, over here," Simon said from where he stood to the left of the stairs, "I've something I'd like to show you."

Everett turned, wondering how long he'd been standing there.

Limping over and down the three shallow steps leading to an archway and open door, he said, "Afternoon, Simon... I thought you'd be working."

Simon smiled and held the door open, motioning for Everett to enter first. "I decided I could use a break."

Gritting his teeth, Everett limped into the large downstairs room used for Simon's law office. An impressive collection of books lined floor-to-ceiling bookcases along three of the four walls.

Many titles were the obligatory law books one expected in a lawyer's office. But the majority were more of what Everett had in his collection at home. They ranged from philosophy to horticulture to poetry and literature, all organized to rival any well-kept public library.

Everett nodded toward the books and smiled, "You hate reading, I take it?"

Simon grinned and limped over with the aid of a single crutch to a pair of leather chairs, motioning for Everett to take the other one, "Is it that obvious?"

"I have a similar collection myself," Everett groaned. He rubbed his sore thigh and clenched his eyes shut. "What's your opinion on stairs?"

"They're evil."

Everett laughed and met Simon's gaze. "One more thing we have in common."

Simon smiled and nodded, falling silent; a look of deep thought came over him. He was a handsome, mustachioed man with dark auburn hair and striking pale blue eyes, and had a gentle nature and a quick wit.

It was easy to see why he and Daphne made such a good match. But it was also apparent he still suffered the lasting effects of the war, the kind that went far beyond a missing lower left leg.

Though different in color than Everett's green hazel, his eyes were likewise haunted. In many ways, Everett found it comforting. Here sat a person who knew the horrors he had experienced and seen. They didn't need to talk about it; in fact, it was better if they never broached the subject. They could be themselves, no matter how broken.

"So... what did you want to show me?"

Simon's lips curled in a wry smile as he lifted his broad shoulders in a shrug, "Nothing."

Everett studied him before saying. "Was I that conspicuous?"

"No, it's just I've seen the look in the mirror enough to know what it means," Simon murmured. He fell silent and then asked quietly, "Have you asked her yet? To marry you?"

Everett shook his head. "I'm planning on it later today." He retrieved the ring box and handed it to Simon. "I thought I might take her to her favorite tree and propose there."

"She'll love that." Flipping the box open, Simon gave a low whistle and stared at the ring. "This is quite the trinket." He looked up and grinned, "I take it to mean you must really like our El?"

Everett nodded, a pleasant warmth enveloping his heart at the mere thought of Pegleg. "I love her."

Simon's gaze met Everett's in silence before handing the box back. "I'm glad to hear it. Elyria deserves a good man."

"I don't know if I'd go so far as to call myself that."

"None of the good ones do," Simon said quietly.