05 | Second-Guessing

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
v. SECOND-GUESSING

╚══════════════════╝

   SOMETHING WAS DEFINITELY WRONG

   SOMETHING WAS DEFINITELY WRONG. Riley had seen more than enough in her life to be able to discern between good and bad, right and wrong with ease. And right now, she was more than positive that something was wrong.

   MJ was sprawled across her bed, across from Riley's. The moon hung in the star-littered sky, which seemed to awaken the night owl. A small lantern sat in the middle of the cabin to illuminate the cabin in secret, as the duo quietly spoke rather than being asleep.

  MJ watched as she paced back and forth. "Okay, slow down and tell me what's wrong." 

   "I can't, MJ!" exclaimed Riley. Her hands were stuck to her head as she worriedly ran her fingers through her raven hair.

   MJ felt much like a cat watching a mouse. "Maybe I should've clarified," she admitted, rolling over to lay flat on her stomach. "That wasn't a suggestion. I'm literally telling you to slow down and tell me what's up."

   Riley slowed down before ultimately halting. She tilted her head back and released a frustrated groan before turning back to MJ. "This is stupid," she pronounced unhappily. "This is totally stupid, right?"

   "Hang on, you want me to form an opinion on something I literally have no context for?"

   "Um, yes!"

   MJ rolled her eyes, reaching back to chuck one of her pillows at Riley. The Latina let out a little squeal, creating a forcefield to stop it from hitting her. MJ had to take a minute to recall that Riley could do... that. She still wasn't used to seeing it in person, never mind on TV.

   "Hey, what was that for!?" whined Riley. She paused when she noticed MJ's blank stare that contrarily told her everything. "Right. Sorry. I should tell you what's going on, right?" She paused. She felt like an idiot. Her brain was all over the place all because of this one thing. "Actually, don't answer that."

  MJ snickered. "Tell me what's wrong already," she insisted. "Is it Peter?"

   Riley felt like she was about to explode. She wasn't used to going to people for advice on anything, even now. She'd always wait until someone asked her. But this was MJ, so maybe Riley could relax just this once?

   "Yeah. Yeah, it's about—" She hesitated, "—Peter."

   MJ leaned forward, narrowing her eyes. "...Why'd you whisper his name?" she mocked.