iv. Pennhurst girl

( S𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴, S𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘦 )
T𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘪𝘳𝘥𝘰 𝘰𝘯 M𝘢𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘵

( S𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴, S𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘦 )T𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘪𝘳𝘥𝘰 𝘰𝘯 M𝘢𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘵

˗ˏˋ Chapter Four: Pennhurst girl ˎˊ˗

「 𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯, 𝘫𝘢𝘤𝘬𝘢𝘴𝘴?

          "Is there a number we can call? For your parents?" Mike asked the girl who was sat down on a sofa in their basement. She, like them, had been soaked through from the rain and was shivering awfully with Eva's coat wrapped around her shoulders.

          "Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?" Dustin asked with wide eyes and an oblivious tone to his voice. Via snorted.

Eva turned around to look at him from where she was sat on the table to swing her arm across Dustin's shoulder, "don't be r-r-rude! You can't just ask p-p-p-people th-that ... "

          "Did you run away?" Lucas asked, making Eva roll her eyes and shake her head.

          "Are you ... like, from an asylum?" Via grinned, finding this bald girl interesting.

          "Are you in some kind of trouble?" Mike questioned further, a little more logical than the others.

          "Is that blood?" Via reached forward slowly to touch the girl's top.

          Eva smacked her hand harshly with a loud slap. Via's face contorted into shock and she shook out her now pink, stinging hand, "ow! That hur—"

          "You're f-f-freaking her o-out!" Eva scolded, glancing briefly at the small girl again.

          "She's freaking me out!" Via replied quickly, gesturing to the clueless girl sat down.

          "I bet she's deaf!" Dustin said suddenly, making them all quiet and look at him confused. He turned the girl and stepped towards her, clapping loudly as she flinched away from the sudden noise, " ... not deaf."

          "Alright that's enough, alright? She's just scared and cold," Mike stopped, gesturing them all to finally shut up. He looked between his sister and the shivering girl before he turned to walk over to a basket of clean clothes. Thunder rumbled out and the girl closed her eyes in fright, perhaps she didn't like loud noises or something ... Eva went to reach forward and grab her hand in comfort but she cowered away. Eva frowned and pulled her hand back.

          "Here, these are clean, okay?" Mike came back, handing forward a sweater and jogging bottoms which she looked at. His hand was reaching past Eva's shoulder and the girl glanced at Eva, almost for reassurance that it was safe. Eva smiled a little.