Chapter 15

Kay sunk further into her chair at her desk, almost slipping off as a result. Andrew came into the room and stood in the doorway, passing a message. “They’re leaving. Go down and say bye.”

“I’ll pass.”

“Our parents don’t know that you sneaked out, so don’t make yourself look suspicious for no reason.”

“Bloody hell,” Kay groaned, finally falling off her chair.

Andrew raised an eyebrow, a question coming to his mind. “Why did you speak to me in Japanese just now?”

Kay rolled over to the door, her eyes half closed. “What? Oh. I uh—felt like improving my Japanese skills.”

Andrew grabbed her arm and helped her off the floor. “You’re really awful at lying, you know that?” he said, shoving her lightly out of the room.

Kay knew she was, but the truth was that she was too embarrassed in front of Clyde to even give him the slightest chance of eavesdropping. Which was easy, considering Clyde was a school dropout and seemed to work as long as he was awake, so there was close to zero chance that he would be able to understand Japanese. But she was embarrassed of that reason as well, because she’d never been shy around anyone before. And here she was, trying not to leave a bad impression of herself on Clyde.

She rid her head of those thoughts and followed Andrew down the stairs to greet their relatives goodbye.

~

Kay was forced to look up when a broad figure blocked her way along the corridor. It was Noah Woodward, a player on the basketball team, and the one who Kay thought was more skilled than Julian Mayhew, although she couldn’t say that aloud.

As excited as she was to see Noah up close, Kay didn’t understand why he had suddenly appeared in front of her, given that he was in the year thirteen, just like Julian.

“Hey. Kay, right?” Noah said. He stretched out his hand.

If Kay had no sense of self control, she would’ve jumped and grabbed hold of his hand with both of hers and shake it until he collapsed. But instead, she eyed the hand carefully, and answered, “Kay Nakagawa, yes.”

Noah nodded and raised an eyebrow, as if to ask her if she was going to accept his handshake. Kay stared at it for a moment and eventually gave in, seeing as he was such an admirable basketball player, and it wasn’t like she didn’t know him. Although it was pretty strange that he knew her name.

“Wow,” remarked Noah, looking at his hand in awe. “I heard you didn’t accept Julian’s handshake when he first met you. I guess it’s an honour that you’re willing to shake my hand.”

Kay made a croaking sound as her mouth fell open and frantically waved her hands. “Ah… that was different. I didn’t know him.”

“And you know me? But I didn’t even tell you my name…” said Noah.

“I know your name!” Kay said, making Noah quirk an eyebrow again. “Noah Woodward.”

“Should I feel weirded out that you know my name?” Noah asked. It was like he knew exactly what had happened during Kay’s first encounter with Julian, and was now trying to guilt-trip her for how she’d acted that time.

Unfortunately, Kay had her reasons for behaving differently in both situations. “I mean, your name and face are in the yearbook, and I watch the matches so…”

“Julian also plays in the matches.”

“But I didn’t see him on the court that much! Was he a reserve or something?” Kay defended herself quickly. Then she narrowed her eyes when she realised where he kept taking the conversation to. “Did Julian ask you to talk to me?”