40. You Ruined Me

"We are all bad in someone's story

"We are all bad in someone's story."

MAYA

"Maya, do we really have to do this?" Cayden asked as I dragged him with me through the halls and towards the cafeteria.

"Come on. Owen and Grace really want to be friends, and you know Bree will hunt us down and drag us to the cafeteria anyway."

When Cayden still hesitated, I wrapped my arms around his waist and pressed my face against his chest before looking up at him and pouting. "Pleeeeease?"

Cayden pursed his lips before he gave in and sighed. "Okay. Fine."

"Yay!" I gave him a quick kiss on the lips before walking behind him and patted his shoulders, encouragingly.

We walked into the cafeteria together, but people didn't give us much attention as everyone was busy digging into their lunch, and filling the room with vibrant chatter and laughter both at the tables and while standing in the lunch line.

Cayden made a sour face. "Ew, people."

"Yeah, yeah, remind me to vaccinate you next time."

I led him towards the table Owen and Heaven were seated on. However, I stopped short when Heaven's gaze froze on me and her face paled ghostly white. She quickly mumbled something to Owen and kissed his cheek before she stood up. After gathering her stuff, she quickly rushed past us with her eyes glued downwards.

Cayden noticed Heaven's weird behavior too as his shoulders tensed beneath my hands. He turned around to me. As if the color on my face had drained, he grabbed my hand and tilted his face pointedly at the lunch line. "Uh, wanna go get lunch first?"

I didn't reply as my attention lingered on Heaven who scurried out of the cafeteria as if I was some sort of deadly virus to her. A weird feeling formed a knot in my stomach.

"No, wait. You go ahead. I'm just going to talk to Heaven," I replied, absentmindedly.

Cayden frowned. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

It probably wasn't, but I really needed to know what was going on. Every time I asked Owen, he told me she just wasn't feeling well. Nevertheless, I wanted to talk to her because if there was even the slightest of chance for me to fix something - anything between us, I wanted to give it a try.

"She's been ignoring me for a really long time now. I just really want to know what's going. I'll be back soon," I said before jogging after Heaven who just exited the cafeteria.