Part 8

He just looks at me for a second, making me hate how impulsive I am. I shouldn't have said that. Things are going to be weird now.

  "Good," he says and smiles. I thought for sure he was going to kiss me. Instead, he pulled his hand away and went to the kitchen. Confused, I follow.

  He was getting a glass down from a small cabinet when I walked in. "Good?" I question. He looks over at me and smiles.

  "Yup," he replies. This fucking kid. How much more vague can someone be? What else can I say?

  "Okay..." I turn and begin walking back to the living room, expecting him to grab my hand or stop me somehow. Or maybe that's just what I wanted him to do.

  I can hear him pouring something in his glass as I sit down on the couch. God, I wanna kiss this kid so bad. And with that in mind, I get my ass back up, I walk back to the kitchen, and I stand under the archway between the kitchen and living room. He's looking out of the window, his back to me.

  "Jackson," I say sheepishly. He turns around and sets his glass on the counter by the fridge.

  "Yeah?" He asks. I see a grin on his face. He knows exactly what I want and he obviously wants the same thing. He's playing with me though. I can tell. So instead of walking up and kissing him like I originally planned to do, I say:

  "I'm going for a walk. I'll be back soon," I say. Two can play that game. I'm not going to satisfy him by letting him "win" or whatever in this stupid game that only a stupid teenage boy can come up with. I think we both understand the rules without saying anything, and we both know the game we're playing. Basically, first person to make a move loses. I don't plan to lose.

  I see his eyes narrow and his eyebrows furrow. "It's 10 o'clock at night and we're in an unfamiliar neighborhood. You're also an impressionable teenager. You're not going on a walk," he says. Oh, is that right?

  "I'm pretty familiar with it. Besides, nobody's gonna want me, remember?" I say. He glares at me.

  "You're not going on a walk alone. End of story," he says. End? Sweetie, this is only the beginning.

  "Can't stop me," I call out as I'm walking to get my jacket.

  "Hazel, seriously. Stop. You're not going on a walk!" He's getting annoyed? Mad? Upset? Protective? I can't tell. Maybe it's all of the above. I think about changing, but I don't see a reason to. I have on black leggings, a black tank top, and a blue jacket that is about 5 sizes to big. It goes down to my butt and the sleeves are huge.

  I have my hand on the doornob and look behind me. He's walking towards me, fast. I open the door, close it, and run down to the elevator.

  "Hazel, quit it out! Are you 4?!" He shouts, also running down the hall. Yes. Yes I am. I press the button for the elevator to open a million times before realizing that it wasn't gonna open and close before he was there, so I sprint down the stairs, but unfortunately, I am not faster than Jackson Felt.

  I only get to the first landing when I hear running behind me and have 0 seconds to react before I feel hands on my waist, turning me around and pinning me to the wall.

  I bust out laughing at the sight of his anger. He looks so mad! I was only joking! Well... Actually I wanted to go for a walk so I wasn't joking...

  "What the hell!?" He's pissed. Oopsies

  "What?" I laugh. "I wanna go for a walk! I am 15 years old, I can take care of myself. I don't need a babysitter," I say, still laughing. He puts his chin on top of my head and I become aware that his entire body is pressed against mine, and I'm pressed against the wall. Why am I always against a wall?

  My body heats up and I don't know what to do. Still laughing, I push him away, trying to make it seem like a joke, because I'm not losing this stupid little game. Instead of escaping,  he presses me back against the wall with his arms wrapped around me. He stares down at me, and all he has to do is close the few inch gap between us. I'll win the game and kiss him. Win win for me.

  He leans down and I can feel his breath on my ear as he whispers: "You're not going on a walk." My mouth goes dry and I want to push him away so that I can go outside in the cold night air to cool off. I feel that I am clutching his back and immidiently remove my hands. I'm starting to shake now and my legs feel weak.

  I want to grab his shirt and pull him down the last couple inches, but I refuse to lose. He leans a little closer and my breath becomes ragged. I shove him away and start walking down the stairs with difficulty because my legs are weak and shaking.

  He walks after me and stops one step below me, making me stop because now he's in front of me. Bruh!!!

  "I just said you're not going on a walk. Do you really not see whats wrong with you walking this time of night? You could get hurt, or worse," he says.

  "I'm just going to the lobby bathroom!" I lied.

  "Why can't you use ours?" He asks.

  "We're already walking down there," I reason. He nods and keeps walking.

****

  My legs are still shaking when I stand in the lobby bathroom, looking in the mirror.

  I walk out and exit through the hotels back door without Jackson, who is sitting in the lobby, seeing me.

  I get a comfortable distance away to text him.

Hazel: Sorry. There's an exit by the bathroom. I'll be back soon and I'll be fine. Just need some fresh air.
Jackson: Are you kidding me?
Hazel: Sorry!
Jackson: Hazel, get back to the hotel now. I'm not kidding. You're going to get hurt or something.
Hazel: I'll be fine. Talk to you soon. Bye!

  My legs feel stronger every step I take away from the hotel. Away from Jackson. I decide to go the opposite direction from the shops. I see houses, another hotel, a couple fast food restraunts and corner stores.

  I look back a couple minutes into my walk and see a tall man in black walking 40 feet or so behind me, illuminated by street lamps. 5 minutes in, I look back again. He got closer. 10 minutes in, and he's 15 feet behind me. Wow Jackson, your really following me? I take some turns and try to lose him. I take another turn onto a street and sprint down it when I'm out of eyesight.

  I find a hiding place behind a dumpster (I know. Ew.) And crouch just in time to see him turn onto the street. I can't see his face, so I don't see his facial expressions, but he looks around, obviously confused.

  I look away from him and call him. He picks up, probably relieved that I'm not kidnapped or something.

  "What? Can't see me?" I laugh.

  "What?" He sounds genuinely confused. What a good actor.

  "Don't play dumb. You're following me! I told you I'd be fine and you don't trust me!" I whisper-yell.

  "Hazel, where are you?" He asks, worried.

  "Dude, I'm fine. I'm still on the street. I'm hiding though and you're not gonna find me," I say, laughing afterwards.

  "What the hell are you talking about? I'm waiting in the lobby for you!" He says. My stomach drops. I look at who was following me. He's not on the phone and he's walking towards my hiding space. I don't think he sees me, but he sure as hell will when he passes.

  "Jackson.." I whimper.