Drop-Off

Authorès Note: Thank you everyone for reading. Please comment your thoughts, I would love to know what you think about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            The sweat was collecting on Brodhi’s forehead and began to roll down his cheek. He was jogging through the streets of the Slums when he saw Todd sneaking back through one of the alleys. He picked up his pace and ran towards him.

            Todd looked up as he heard Brodhi’s footsteps echo down the alley. Brodhi always thought it was funny to see Todd when he tried to look wealthy. He already pulled his red shirt out from his pants and a few pieces of hair strayed loose from the gel.

            “Gee, where are you coming from?” Brodhi asked wryly.

            “Who are you runnin’ from?” Todd asked back.

            “Don’t be a smart-ass.”

            Todd chuckled under his breath. Brodhi panted heavily from his extensive jog as the walked down the alley together.

            “Shai got her hands on this piece of jewellery yesterday,” Todd began to tell Brodhi. Other than Shai, he was the only person Todd trusted. “We were able to pawn it for a thousand at some pawn shop in Bright.”

            “Then I see you left her behind,” Brodhi pointed out; noticing that Shai was nowhere near them.

            “No, she attracted some Brighty. I told her to go out with him and try to get him to buy her things.”

            “What if she gets caught?”

            “She won’t be.”

            Brodhi was always amazed by Todd’s confidence in Shai. The girl was definitely a good thief and a liar, but it took Todd years before he could trust Brodhi. They met when they were thirteen and spent over a year robbing together. Then one day Todd found Shai. She was skinny and covered in dirt, like so many abandoned kids on the streets. He still didn’t know what possessed Todd to bring her home with him like a stray dog.

            “Just don’t mention anythin’ to my brother,” Brodhi said smirking. “I don’t think he’d like the idea of some Brighty falling in love with Shai.”

            “If he’s buyin’ her expensive enough things, I don’t think Jasper will complain,” Todd said.

            “True.”

            They came to the back of Todd’s apartment building and the stopped right outside of the fire escape. The building provided a cool rectangle of shade.

            “So I’ll see you at the derby tomorrow?” Brodhi asked.

            “Yeah. You drivin’ this year?”

            “Nah, I can’t risk it. Lynn is goin’ to give birth in a month and I can’t let her raise that baby by herself. You driving?”

            “Never do.”

            “Why?”

            Todd just shrugged his shoulders and wrapped his fingers around the ladder. He started to pull himself up and climb up to his apartment.

            “I just don’t. Who needs a Brighty searchin’ through their file?” Todd replied.

            “I thought you didn’t have a file,” he yelled up the fire escape.