why don't you come a little closer

"I wanted it to be intimate but word kind of got out..." Niall's voice carried with the wind, all the way to Harry's ear across the pool. "I mean, I don't think it'll be bad. If anything it'll be more fun, what do you think Harry?"

"He's gonna oppose it so let's disregard that question, yeah Niall?" Louis chimed in, swimming towards the edge of the pool where Liam was sat, sun seeping into his skin, feet submerged in the water.

Harry was laid out on one of Zayn's poolside chairs, sunscreen lathered on like no other and his sunglasses perched on the top of his nose.

Zayn was sat on the stairs of the pool, a a blunt hanging from his lips, Niall beside him ready to snatch it out of his hands.

"We're getting a cake," Niall spoke up, ignoring Louis. Taking the blunt from Zayn, he took a hit. After a cough, he turned back to Harry who laid, eyes closed but listening. "Should we put some cliché shit on it?"

Sitting up, Harry took his sunglasses off. "Like what Niall?" he said flatly, a laugh sputtering out of Zayn's lips at his reaction.

Turning around to face Harry, Liam frowned. "He's just trying to make it special, why do you have an attitude?"

"Yeah Harry," Louis chimed in with a mocking tone.

"Okay fine," Nodding, Harry stood up, the hot concrete burning his feet. To relieve it, he jumped into the pool right where Liam was sitting, splashing him completely.

When he surfaced, Liam had gotten into the pool and began to splash him, the second he was out from underwater.

Aside, Louis treaded water watching deviously. "It's what you deserve," he shrugged, swimming to the shallow end where Niall and Zayn were sat, ever so slowly becoming high out of their minds.

"What do you want to put on the cake Niall?" Harry questioned once he had attained his bearings, pushing his soaking wet hair out of his eyes. "Something cliché? Like what?"

Sputtering, Niall handed the blunt back to Zayn. "Well uh- I don't know! I didn't think you'd agree,"

"Make sure you add best friend on there somewhere," Harry spoke, eyeing Zayn who hadn't said a word yet.

Zayn was usually never silent like today. Yes, it took him a lot to share how he was feeling, but today was one of his mystery days. The days where he observes, keeps quiet and adds his opinion with a wide range of facial expressions rather than words.

Harry wished Zayn knew how much he wanted him to talk. Respond. Say something about what was happening!

"Zayn what do you think?" Harry finally piped up, looking at Zayn who shrugged. "What should Niall put on the cake?"

"On the cake?" Zayn repeated the question, peering over at Harry who treaded water beside Liam in the deep end.

Nodding, Harry raised his eyebrows. "Yeah on the cake,"

"Uh," Zayn shrugged, his eyes falling down to the pool as he stood up giving the blunt back to Niall. "Dunno... Louis what do you think?"

"I don't know...?" Louis trailed off, watching as Zayn slid the back door open and stepped inside.

Turning around to face Zayn, Niall frowned. "Where are you going Z?"

"Upstairs for a sec," he said quietly, before sliding the glass door shut behind him, leaving everyone in the pool, confused.

Immediately, Louis turned to Harry, a quizzical look upon his face. "What's up with him?" he questioned as if Harry could read Zayn's mind.

Although, in times like this, Harry wished he could read Zayn's mind. He hadn't been off recently, and this, this was a surprise.