8. i need more convincing

⠀⠀While Eric severely wounded Kevin's pride by beating him at air hockey ("Justin Trudeau, I failed you!" Kevin had wailed, falling onto his knees upon seeing the final score of one to ten as Eric cackled maniacally), Kevin had been more relaxed and happy than he ever had in these past few days. Ignoring and avoiding Jacob was exhausting, especially since Jacob was going out of his way to talk to him, so Kevin was nothing but thankful for the distraction Eric provided.

⠀⠀It's precisely why he was so reluctant to part with Eric as they walked to the bus station where they would go their separate ways. The two of them had been laughing and talking about random stuff as they walked, but Kevin was sure Eric had noticed the way Kevin was clinging onto him. Hopefully, Eric would ask about it and perhaps invite him over to his house instead. After all, Kevin didn't really feel like coming home tonight, especially after Stella had texted him about Jacob's sudden arrival at their front door.

⠀⠀Jacob. Just thinking about that guy made Kevin's head throb. He caused Kevin so many confusing emotions, and Kevin didn't know what to make of any of them. Cursing under his breath, Kevin scowled at the image of Jacob's pretty smile. Screw him. He was gonna drop the band if it meant avoiding Jacob for good, his love for performing be damned.

⠀⠀Surely enough, Eric tapped Kevin's shoulder and asked curiously, "You okay?" Kevin snapped out of his thoughts to look at Eric's amused smile and rubbed his nape.

⠀⠀"Uh, kinda?"

⠀⠀Eric pouted and crossed his arms. "I did not spend so much money on that arcade for you to only be kinda okay," he grouched petulantly. The childish front dropped immediately as Kevin chuckled, then Eric asked gently, "Seriously, is everything okay, though?"

⠀⠀The younger boy might've been rambunctious and jock-like than he, but Eric was intelligent down to his core. Kevin sighed. "It's just. . . I can't get my mind off of Jacob. And Stella told me he came over to my place and I don't wanna go home in case he's still there," he explained quietly.

⠀⠀Eric hummed in recognition, nodding. "Yeah, I get it. But it's," he looked at his phone screen briefly, "seven now. I'm sure he's gone now. There's no way he was over at your place three hours after school let out. You'll be okay, hyung," Eric assured with a smile.

⠀⠀"But—"

⠀⠀"Kevin," Eric swiftly interrupted, stopping in his path and gripping Kevin by the shoulders. "You'll be good. And if he is there, then you can call me, okay?" He smiled, warming Kevin to his core. Eric was such a nice guy.

⠀⠀Kevin wanted to argue and plead his case about why he shouldn't have to go home, but he just sighed. Eric was right; he couldn't have his feelings about Jacob control his life. "Sounds like a plan, Eric."

⠀⠀They arrived at the bus station, where they hugged for a few moments longer than normal and parted reluctantly. Eric had flashed him a worried but bright grin before stepping into his bus, which Kevin returned with a small laugh.

⠀⠀During the short ride home, Kevin's mind milled about as his favorite playlist blared in his ears. His eyes were closed, and he probably could've taken a quick nap if he got his mind to quiet down a bit, but no matter what Kevin forced himself to think about, it always ended up back at that night at Jacob's house. And it sucked. Just as Kevin was getting comfortable with Jacob again, he learned about why Jacob had actually left after years of taunting.