Ch. 1

It was a hot and sunny Monday in August, and a black-haired boy had just arrived to the high school he would be spending the next four years at: Pendergast High. He was wearing a white shirt and blue ripped jeans with a red checkered shirt wrapped around his waist and Timberland boots. People were roaming the campus, relaxing on the soft grass, looking at clubs, trying to take it easy. The boy walked across campus, focusing on myself.

"I can do this... I can do this," he chanted to himself.

Suddenly, the boy bumped into a blonde-haired girl who was around his height. Her eyes were pink due to her contacts, her shirt matched her eyes, and she was wearing very short jean shorts. Her shoes were yellow, matching her hair.

"Sorry for bumping into you," she said. "My name is Erica. Erica Blackwell."

"I'm Jake. Jake Arnette," he extended his hand out to Erica.

As he did so, Erica pulled his arm and wrapped hers around him. He reluctantly returned the unplanned hug.

"Welcome to Pendergast High, the most drama-filled school in the country," Erica said. "You can pick up your schedule in the front office. And I think the principal wanna talk to you too. You should get a move on."

Jake walked inside the school and headed to the front office, where he saw another black-haired boy sitting down in a chair. His blue shirt was wrapped in a black leather jacket. His pants matched his jacket, and his shoes matched his shirt. He looked up at me menacingly with his dark brown eyes.

"You Jake Arnette?" he asked bluntly.

"Yeah," Jake answered.

"The principal wanna have a word with you. He's right through there."

Jake followed the boy's directions and entered the principal's office.

"Ah! You must be Jake Arnette," he said. "I'm Principal Boswell. Welcome to Pendergast High."

"Thank you," Jake stood with his hands in his back pocket.

"I'm glad you came in before homeroom started. One of my students is gonna take you on a little tour around the school. Follow me."

Jake followed Boswell to the front of the office, where the boy was using three chairs to lay down.

"Get up, boy!" Boswell yelled.

The boy got up and scoffed.

"What do you want, Boswell?" the boy asked annoyed. "I was in the middle of catching some Z's."

"Jake, this is Nick Nova, one of our most known delinquents. He's gonna be your tour guide."

"Say what now?" Nick asked.

"You know the ins and outs of this school. Why not give him a tour?"

"Maybe because I don't want to? Listen, Boswell, I'm not gonna do it."

"I'll get you out of detention for two weeks."

"Deal!"

"Wow, that didn't take much convincing," Jake thought.

"I'll leave you to it," Boswell said. "And if you try to hurt anyone or anything, expect a month in detention."

"Yeah, whatever," Nick replied.

Principal Boswell went back to his office, leaving Jake alone with Nick.

"Yeah, I'm not a big tour guide, but I am a man of my word," he said. "I'mma try to act like a tour guide."

"I can tell that you're not the kind of guy that do good things by choice," Jake commented.

"Finally, someone that gets me. You're a rebel too?"

"No. Total goodie two shoes."

"Figures. But at least you get me. I'll give you that much."

"Thanks. Let's get the tour started before Principal Boswell gets mad at you."

"You barely know me, and you're worried about me? You sure are a goodie two shoes. Let's get this over with."

Nick showed Jake the different places around school: the cafeteria, the clubs, the football field, the gym, the baseball field, etc. At the end of the tour, Nick lead Jake to an alley behind the school. Jake saw tons of graffiti sprayed on the walls.

"This is the end of the tour," Nick said.

"Why did you decide to bring me here?" Jake asked.

Without an explanation, Nick punched Jake in the stomach. Pain hit him as Nick planted him against the wall.

"Wha... what was that for?" Jake painfully asked.

"Keep your damn mouth shut!" Nick said.

Fighting the pain from his stomach, Jake tried to get away, but Nick use his arm to block the way. He tried going under the arm, but Nick's leg was in the way. He tried the other side, and he was blocked again by Nick's other arm. Jake cowered in fear, expecting to get punched in the face, but to his surprise, Nick let him go.

"Why do you have to be so... likeable?" he asked. "You seem too... nice... even for me."

Jake looked at him, placing his hand on his shoulder, "Well... I was always told I can be friends with anyone."

"You, uh... wanna be my friend?"

"Sure! Even though you tried to hurt me... I'll be your friend."

"Good. I'll walk you to class, Boy Scout."

Together, Jake and Nick headed to my first class of the day. Jake was somewhat surprised that Nick was showing him passion.

"Nick... if he wanted to hurt me, but couldn't go through with it... does that means he... he likes me?" Jake asked himself.