Chapter 1

"I don't get why you do that to yourself," my brother, Austin said as he leaned against the doorway, waiting for me to finish and drive him to school.

I applied the last bit of my blood-red lipstick before I checked myself out in the mirror. My long, dark brown hair was black with temporary dye and had a bright red, clip-in extension towards the front. My naturally, lightly tanned skin on my face was covered with white powder, making me look sickly, like death. My hazel eyes were surrounded by black eyeliner, making them look like a dark brown. I wore a baggy band tee paired with loose black jeans that had chains hanging on them and my favorite black combat boots.

Looking up and down in the mirror, I couldn't help but look away. There was a reason why I covered it with my blankets and never looked into it when I didn't have to.

I walked away and grabbed my keys and backpack. "Alright, let's go."

"It's about time," Austin replied impatiently.

We got in the car and then drove off. I yawned and looked at the time. It was 6:45.

"So why did I have to get up so early for you again?" I asked.

"Football meeting," Austin replied.

I raised one of my eyebrows and looked over at him as we reached a red light. "Since when do you like football?"

"Dad and I play football out in the backyard all the time. Where have you been?" He said in disbelief.

"I know you guys play it, but I never really thought you actually enjoyed it."

"Well, I decided I'm going to try something new for my freshman year," he replied.

As he finished his sentence we arrived in the school parking lot.

I pulled up a little toward the school and looked around to see if I could get closer to the gym where all the jocks were walking in so Austin wouldn't have to walk far. "You can just drop me off here," he said as he unbuckled his seatbelt.

I stopped looking around and watched him unbuckle. I understood why he would want to be dropped off far away just so people wouldn't know I was his sister. Who would want people to know they have a horrid looking Goth as their sister? He was embarrassed and that was truly understandable to me.

"I'm going to Starbucks to kill time before school. You want anything?" I asked him.

"Nah, I have a V8 and a big lunch. Thanks anyways Greta." He grabbed his backpack and got out of the car swiftly and then headed to the gym.

I drove off to Starbucks. I walked in and was greeted with the wonderful scent of coffee and other delicious aromas. As I read the ingredients of a new drink I could feel people's stares on me as they disapprovingly eyed me up and down. I bowed my head down and stared at my feet, trying to ignore the stares. My ugly face and my drab clothes always seemed to get those glares. It's like my face was so ugly that I constantly caught people's attention with it.

It was my turn and I ordered a coffee. As soon as the order was ready I went all the way to the back booth where I was less noticeable. I grabbed my iPod and sipped my coffee as I people watched. Business men and women scurried in and out as their cell phones were constantly glued to their ears. I saw a few people from my school come in and sit down at a table and do their homework. I don't think any of them saw me, which I was perfectly fine with.

I looked down at my watch and it was 7:45. Austin's football meeting was over and school was going to start in about 15 minutes. I decided to get ready to leave, putting my iPod away and cleaning up my table. I was almost done my coffee when I saw Jason Adams walk in with my little brother following him. From what I could tell they were talking about football and just chatting as they stood in line.

Jason Adams was the popular, star quarterback of the varsity football team at our high school. He was a senior just like me and from what I could tell, he was a player. His light brown hair was longer and swept across his forehead. His body was built and muscular, which you could see just by looking at him in a tight shirt. His smile was bright and I must say, kind of perfect. His eyes, from what I could tell since I've never been closer than 5 feet to him, were green and captivating. It was no wonder why so many girls would fall over him.

I knew Austin would be embarrassed if Jason Adams knew we knew each other. So, I quickly finished my coffee and got my backpack organized. I glanced at Austin who must have felt my gaze because he looked in my direction. I then grabbed my backpack, threw my empty coffee away and started walking out, past Austin and Jason.

Jason must have noticed Austin's quick glances at me because he looked my way too. Giving me, from what I could tell, was a curious/"what the hell" stare at me as I walked out. I could see Austin look down in the corner of my eye as I walked past him. My heart shattered knowing my horrid looks were embarrassing my little brother to the point where he didn't even want to acknowledge me in front of his friends. I did everything I could to mask myself behind my makeup and clothes but nothing ever seemed to ever truly hide me.