Glistening Snow: Chapter One

-----Chapter One------

Okay, here's the deal. I'm an Ice-user. Literally, ice comes out of my body. When I tell myself to produce ice, I feel a little numbness in my muscles and before I know it, there's ice everywhere.

I've known this since I was born. All my relatives are ice-users, even my parents, so, you know, they feel my pain--that we're not normal. I have human friends, though. But nobody knows my dark secret. We, ice-users, pretty much blend in. We're not harmful to anybody. Except those humans who knows our true identity and also, our enemies, the fire-users.

My name is Mella Stewart. I'm a seventeen-year-old girl. I have pale-white skin, long, curly blond hair and deep blue eyes, like most ice-users. I used to live in Alaska, but we (ice-users) had to move because one human suspected that we were'nt human. We killed him and we decided to move just to be safe.

Now, we're in California--probably, the hottest place in the world (For your information,when the place where we live is warm, our powers are weak, so you know, we appear a little bit human. But it has risks too, for example, when a fire-user attacks, we wouldn't be able to use our powers properly). Anyways, we've been here for almost three years now. And so far, no attacks from the fire-users.

"Mella!!!" a familiar voice yelled. I ran down the stair to see who it was. There, in my living room, Natalia Rober, one of my human friends, stared at me with excitement. She had short, brown hair. Her eyes were dark brown, almost black. And her skin was perfectly tanned, the total opposite of me.

"You're way too early Natalia, it's only 7:34 am, your supposed to pick me up for school around 7:45," I said while glancing at my watch.

"Boy, it's cold in here!" she shivered. You see, Natalia doesn't know our family secret.

"Well, because we like it cold in our house," I faked a smile.

"Good morning, Natalia," My mom interrupted us. She carried a fresh cup of cold, orange juice.

"Oh, good morning, Mrs. Stewart," she said sweetly while my mom handed her the juice, "Thank you, I'm sorry if I'm here a bit earlier than usual. But! This is important news!" she giggled. I rolled my eyes as I poured myself some juice.

"You finally passed your History class?!" I said sarcastically while I drank some juice.

"Ha-ha, Very funny but no, next week's gonna be the prom!" She said and then she screamed so loud that I almost spit my juice.

"So? What are we gonna do there, dance til we drop?" I said.

"Well, there's gonna be dancing, but it'll be with the one you love," she said dreamily.

"Oh, come on! How cliche can you get?"

"Mella, that's because you haven't experience love yet," My mom said.

"Yeah, right, mom...Anyways, let's go Talia, it's good to be early in school, once in a while," I grunted. We both put our cups on the coffee table.

"Geez, why are you so grumpy all the time?" She said while walking towards the door.

"What can I say, it runs in the family," I smiled remembering that all ice-users are usually quick-tempered.

"Your mom's nice," she complained.

"Well, she has a gift," I said and glanced back at my mom. She winked at me and said, "Bye, dear, be safe!"

"Bye, mom!"

"Bye, Mrs. Stewart!" Natalia said. It was a beautiful day today, it's not too hot but, not too cold. Perfectly fine. When we were in the driveway, Natalia's black Volvo (she's rich) was parked at its usual place. We walked towards the car and went inside. I sat at the passanger's seat and put on my seat belt.