I Promise

Hello, beautiful readers. Please listen to the song as it fits the chapter, if you're able to. The next chapter will be published either tomorrow, the day after, or the day after that so stay tuned! Love you all, and I hope you enjoy ❤️💕💜

With the night as spectator, locals and shrine occupants mingled together on the dance floor. The forest was vibrant, and it was as if the spirit of joy called upon us, beckoning us to move with grace and clumsiness simultaneously. The season trees swayed with the wind's tug, rustling leaves adding to the voice of nature. As the leaves descended down on us, we were showered in a fury of color.

The rhythm of the drums matched my heart beat, fast and steady

The rhythm of the drums matched my heart beat, fast and steady. Once we were at the dance floor, the white haired stranger took my waist and I glance up at his unreadable eyes. "Do you know how to dance, my lady?"

I cringe at his choice of words, but I nod with a touch femininity. "Of course I do," I take his shoulders, brushing his fluffy white hair with my thumb—something I'd always longed to do. It was soft.

He froze at my touch and for a moment I thought this would be too difficult, emotions overflowing and eventually erupting in a volcanic explosion. However, my dance partner shook himself back, offering me a wolffish smile that sliced through me. Cold and unforgiving.

He pulls me closer, but his touch is loose. Then we join the others in dancing, taking note of one another's every move. No words were spoken, and we let the environment around us fill the silence. Still, there was a tension building up.

I accidentally stepped on his foot and glares at me with exasperation behind his orbs. He can't hide the frown that crosses his face, brows furrowed. "I can't do this—"

"—can't do what? Touch me? Look me in the eye?" I catch his sleeve, his back facing me. "Stop being a coward and dance with me, idiot. If you don't want to feel my touch I can numb your body. It's my nen ability."

For a few heartbeats, he doesn't speak. Finally, he turns back to look at me, "Fine. Numb me. You're driving me insane."

"That's my line..." I mutter sourly, using my ability on him. During these three years at Hikashou shrine, I've regained my ability manipulate people's five senses. I can turn them off completely or amplify them—make a blind person see or a normal person blind.

When I finish, the tall male stares at me incredulously, as if he can't believe what I've just done. But all he says is, "Let's do it again."

"If you can stomach it." I throw back, ignoring the glare he shoots my way.

We become tangled once again and this time, it's easier. I get it then—not feeling anything is easier, surrendering to the numbness because nothing can hurt you. Not the memories and not the impossibility of reuniting.

I'm not sure who's following who, and I don't notice that several couples have already collapsed. Peering over my shoulder, I see the priests have started doing their magic. The drums have stopped and a figure in traditional Japanese clothing is graciously striding up the stairs to the stage.