Changes in Routine

No matter what they tried, Ophelia always fought it back. A week passed and everyone felt like they made no progress whatsoever with their little. To be truthful, they were being very passive and lenient with Ophelia solely because they hated seeing her so panicked and stressed. She would scream, squirm, pinch, and, her new favorite, bite until she could escape whoever was holding her, and the boys just let her. Scolding her was useless, and typically ended up with her giving them an 'are-you-serious?' look with her eyebrows raised, a look of amusement in her eyes because how dare they think she's five. Time-outs now were a 50/50 chance of her either running away and hiding, or with Ophelia thinking too much, and the caregivers not being able to refocus her attention even hours after her corner time had ended.

All of this was different for Yoongi. While the rest of the boys shied away from punishments, Yoongi used them liberally. Ophelia refusing the take her bottle? A few swats and she'd bolt straight onto whoever's lap, typically Jin's, and have the bottle halfway gone in mere seconds. Throwing a mini tantrum in her caregiver's arms? A stern look from Yoongi and she'd calm down immediately. It almost was comical how obedient and compliant Ophelia became once the short-tempered blonde came into question, yet sad once the others thought about how she did it out of fear.

But, it worked. Yoongi had cracked the code to getting Ophelia to listen. Once they all could get the girl under control, they would be able to turn her into their perfect little girl.

Their plan was set in place on a day that Ophelia woke up extra crabby. Jimin knew it was only because the poor little one stayed up all night coughing, so she was more than overtired when Jimin woke her up. She even fell back asleep when Jimin laid her down to change her.

The whining and scratching began once Jimin picked her back up after she had been changed. At first, Jimin could barely feel her small nails digging into his skin (they just trimmed them the night before), but as Ophelia woke up she put more power and pressure into the assault. Jimin gave her a clear warning, telling her to stop and maneuvering her hands so he held them behind her back. This only angered Ophelia more, and she dug her nails into the hands holding hers.

Wordlessly, Jimin walked towards the dresser and grabbed a pair of white mittens with a pink heart on the inside of the wrist and pink string to tighten them. As he attempted to put them on Ophelia's hands, Ophelia violently squirmed, trying to get away. Jimin didn't want the girl to accidentally hurt herself, so he sat her down on the rocking chair so she wouldn't fall out of his arms.

Ophelia tried to run, but Jimin was blocking her path. He was still trying to put the mittens on her hands, but Ophelia quickly hid them behind her back.

"Lia, give Mommy your hands," Jimin said with a sigh, feeling his annoyance rise exponentially.

"Fuck no," Ophelia's voice dripped with attitude and sass- probably not the best tone of voice, the girl realized soon after, but there was no way she'd wear those stupid gloves.

Jimin grabbed Ophelia by her upper arm, pulling her up and into a corner of the nursery. He returned back to the rocking chair and sat down; he was just a step or two away from the girl if she decided to bolt out. "You can leave the corner when you decide to put on your mittens."

Like usual, Ophelia tensed up at the harshness of his voice. The tone wasn't something she was used to- at least from her kidnappers. Her parents always spoke to her in that threatening, spiteful tone of voice, making her feel as if she were walking on eggshells. While the men never reached that extreme, she still associated it with the shitty, scary feeling of her parents' wrath and disappointment. While she'd never admit it, she absolutely loved when the men spoke to her with terms of endearment, no matter how strange or weird it felt. It just felt nice to be spoken softly and kindly to, and it made her chest feel soft and her mind fuzzy.

Oh God, Ophelia thought with a mental groan. That's the Stockholm Syndrome setting in.

Ophelia was torn from her thoughts by Jimin reminding her of the stupid fucking mittens. Deciding it was best to get it over with, Ophelia turned around and walked towards Jimin, her eyes staring at her sock-clad feet. Jimin took her hands and slipped the mittens on, tying the ribbon so she couldn't take them off easily. Ophelia ignored the smile Jimin gave her, keeping her attention on the mittens.

Ophelia flinched when Jimin picked her up again. "Do you want to go eat breakfast? I think everyone's downstairs already." Jimin felt her shake her head 'no' from the crook of his neck and reached a hand up to rub her back. "Awh, little one. Why not?"

Over the past week, they've noticed a lot of Ophelia's little quirks. There was always a moment's hesitation whenever she was cuddled, almost as if she wanted the comfort but purposely fought against it. Nap time always made her much more compliant ("Do this and then it's nap time" was perhaps Ophelia's top motivation). A habit they've been trying to get Ophelia out of was how quiet and shy she was. The girl could spew off as many curses and insults as her heart desired, but getting her to actually tell what she wanted and express how she felt was near impossible. That's why when Jimin received only a shrug in response, he wasn't very concerned nor offended. Her quietness was only a cute quirk.

Nevertheless, Jimin carried the girl down into the kitchen, Ophelia kicking and screaming the entire time. The commotion caused all eyes to be on the two entering the kitchen, and Jin immediately reached his arms out to take the fussing baby.

"What's gotten you all upset?" Jin asked, rubbing her small hands through the mittens. He didn't expect a response other than her continued screams of 'let go' and violent squirming. Wanting to try something different, Jin removed Ophelia from his lap and sat her on the floor next to him. The boys around him gave him curious gazes, and Jimin reached down to pick the girl up before Jin put a hand out to stop him.

Almost as soon as she touched the ground Ophelia scooted herself against the wall, wanting to distance herself from the men. Looking back up at the table, Ophelia didn't know whether she felt relieved or offended by how no one paid her any mind- they continued eating their breakfast and talking as if she wasn't even there.

Hoseok looked over at the girl after a few minutes had passed. She sat curled in on herself, her lips pouted and casting a pitiful look towards the table. Hoseok cooed at the sight and held out a piece of melon for Ophelia. "Do you want some?"

Ophelia glanced at the fruit, not sure whether or not to take it. She looked at everyone else- they weren't paying much attention to her currently, so Ophelia deemed it safe to accept the offered fruit. She gave a nod, still not moving from her position against the wall.

Hoseok chuckled at her enthusiastic nod. "You have to come get it, silly," Hoseok noted how Ophelia looked towards the others, almost as if she was fearful of approaching the table while they were watching. Nevertheless, Hoseok continued to hold out the melon with a comforting smile. Ophelia was just about to come to him when Jimin glanced her way, eyes curiously drawn to her by her movement. She immediately shrunk back down, avoiding the now sad smile on Hoseok's face.

Grabbing the bowl of mixed fruits from the table, Hoseok excused himself from his own nearly-finished breakfast. "Why are you stealing my fruit, hyung?" Jungkook playfully whined, mouth full of the fruit in question.

"I'm going to feed Ophelia in the living room," he said, sending a quick look towards the girl in question before continuing, this time in a whisper, "I think all of us at once overwhelms her a bit too much."