Chapter 8- Resignation-Pamela's PoV

"Good morning Pamela," said Gloria. She was looking down at me. I was still in bed and she was all ready for the day. We had returned back to the base after yesterday's afternoon. I never told Gloria that I was going to resign that day, however, I reminded myself to every few minutes. I always chickened out of it, though. I knew it would hurt her. Anyway, I hadn't gotten much sleep last night. Today, the usual schedule was back on. In other words, we would have breakfast, then training and office work. I think the plan was to skip breakfast and to just head to the office, where I would resign from the air force. "Going to head to the caf for breakfast. I thought you got ready," said Gloria, cautiously. She knew something was up. "I think I'm going to check in to the office. Just to check up on some work that I hadn't finished the other day. Not really hungry anyway." I mean one of those things wasn't a lie. I was really NOT hungry. 

"Alright, I will be heading out to eat. See you later, Pam?" she asked. "Yeah, I'll see you, Gloria," I said to her, smiling. She then returned a smile and walked out of the door. Once she was gone, I immediately got up and changed into some jeans and an ebony tank top. I then left the room. I was not going to change into my camouflage clothing if I wasn't going to train or work. 

I knocked on the glass door of the office. Ronald, a recruit who worked at the office every morning, gave me a welcoming smile and asked me to come in. I walked into the office, returning his smile and that's when he noticed I wasn't wearing my uniform. That's when he understood what was happening. He then, almost instantly, handed me the resignation papers. We're talking a nice few pages of paperwork. After about thirty minutes, I filled them all up and handed them to him. He looked over them briefly and laughed. He then stood up to salute me. I saluted him back and left the office. I ran to my room, where I started packing up my things. 

Everything

Everything here. 

Everything here was for nothing. 

My beloved Louise was not here. 

Which means this place should not mean anything to me.

However, the people that I met. 

The people that I met made this experience earn so much value. 

In other words, 

Everything, 

Everything here,

Everything here was for nothing. 

However, everything here is so valuable. 

Luckily, I didn't have much to pack up. I finished quite early. Like after about twenty minutes, I was out the door. Where Gloria had been waiting for me, I assume. She had tears in her eyes. She gave me a sincere smile. "Didn't want to tell me?" she asked, "I understand why. I wouldn't have wanted to tell you either. I'm assuming you pussied out from telling me, right?" her tears were now flowing off her face. "Yeah. Every single time. Gloria, I'm truly sorry," I said. I also started to tear up. "You don't have to apologize, Pam," she said. She came in and hugged me. "You were such an amazing friend. You helped me through so much, Pam. Thank you so much for making this past year the best year of my life." We kept the hug going as this conversation continued. "Gloria, you were honestly my only reason to stay. This year was truly amazing. However, nothing covers up the sadness that I was keeping in my heart. Gloria, this can't be my life anymore. I only joined since my parents wanted me to, you know? This was something I never wanted to do." I explained. "I understand, I knew that Pam." she said, "I wish you luck, Pamela." she then pulled out of my grip. We gave each other sincere smiled and I grabbed my bag, full of stuff, and walked out of the doors of the base. 

A whole year

A whole year without you. 

It had to end this way. 

Didn't it? 

It had to. 

I called an Uber and gave it the directions to Louise's house. She had given me them the day before. I'm coming, darling.