71• The Return

Mia shoots up, turning to Jean. Her eyes widened, unsure of all the feelings that filled her chest.

" Mia? Are you okay?"

She scoured her entire body, meeting his glance again. Another gasp left her mouth, but it was far different than the last.

" I was dead."

Jeans jaw dropped, as he stared back at her. She stood idly, her eyes pierced to where the wound once stood. Her fingers slowly danced along the nonexistent scar, as Mia shut her eyes, recalling the moment where her mind faded to black.

Prior, she knew she had been hurt. She knew it was Zeke who stood by and helped her, by giving Mia the Titan Serum. But now with her memories rampaging her quiet mind, she knew very different.

The knowledge still brought an ache to her mind, but not because she didn't want to know them but because it's now all she knew. Every missing piece of information that she lacked previously was now filled, and this time it wasn't by Zeke and his pseudo stories.

One particular moment grasped not only her mind, but her heart too. Everything up to this very moment was clearer than a rain drop to Mia, it made her acknowledge the time she spent influenced under Zeke's reign.

Her mind flickered back to when she first reunited with Jean, and how she nearly killed him. Mia's jaw dropped, as her eyes met his.

He watched her, a small smile lacing his lips. Jean didn't know what to think, he feared it was some sort of trick. But when he saw the smirk that carried her innocent features, and brought the light back to her eyes that he so sorely missed, Jean knew he was wrong.

" I missed you." He mumbled, as she strode into his arms. Jean held her tightly, nuzzling his face on top of her head. He had only grown in the past four years, while Mia had not. The sight of their embrace was peculiar, but in the moment, it was only for them to see.

Mia stifled a laugh, her eyes shut. " Nice hair, you horse. Didn't know you were going for the whole homeless look like Eren too."

Jean smiled, his heart swollen. If anyone else had said it, they would have been on the floor or in a screaming match against him. But this wasn't anyone.

" Oh and what about you? At least I still don't look like a fifteen year old." She pulled back from him, punching his shoulder.

" I do not. I've grown a whole centimeter, since you last saw me!"

They both laughed, smiling deeply at one another. Jean and Mia were together at last.
Their friendship had rekindled, and even in the midst of a battle and in time of anguish, their eyes both met and they so sorely knew, that it never ended in the first place.

Jean wanted to spend more time with her, to talk and tell her everything she had missed. He wanted to hear everything too. But he couldn't. Not when the man she loved laid so close.

" Go to him, Mi."

Her smile softened, as did her eyes. Mia laid a hand on his forearm, " You sure? What if he...you know...moved on. I know that damn bitch geography always thought he was cute."

" Mia, he could never move on from you. None of us could. We all tried to bring you back with the things you'd say, dammit I only said 'I don't care' for a month. Turns out if you're not pretty, they'll hit you for that." He laughed, ruffling her hair.