The Ball - Ella & Sara

Description: In a world where there is only royalty, no presidents or prime ministers, the Langston and Harlow royal families are the most powerful. Their kingdoms are large and so are their military forces, though they have lived in peace for hundreds of years. A handful of times a year there are balls held to keep the kingdoms close and civil. Though everything is peaceful, the two powerful kingdoms think constantly of ways to bring each other closer together. One day, they get a great idea. What better way to keep two families close together than an arranged marriage? (Around 4000 words)

Brief Character Descriptions: 

Ella Langston: Bright blue curly hair that goes down to her waist, beautiful hazel eyes, and light brown freckles. She is very tan because she loves being outside. She only wears dresses when it is a special occasion. She cusses a lot. She is not what you would expect a princess to be like. She is gay but closeted.

Sara Harlow: Dark brown straight hair that goes down to her shoulders and bright blue eyes. She has fair skin even though she likes being outside too. She always wears dresses but they only go down to her knee and most of them are considered sun dresses rather than royal dresses. She makes most of her clothes. She is openly out as gay and likes to decorate the castle with rainbow flags and items. Her parents, the king and queen, don't like it but they don't do or say anything.

Sara's POV

There was a knock at my door. I was at my vanity braiding my hair though so I called out for the person to come in.

It was one of the servants.

She stepped inside my room and bowed, "The king and queen wish to see you, my lady."

I smiled politely at her, "Alright, I will go as soon as I am finished getting ready. Could you please let them know?"

She nodded before bowing again and leaving.

I finished the second French braid shortly after she left, a little sad that they kind of disappeared in my dark hair but I shook it off.

I grabbed my phone before quickly leaving to find my parents.

I found them where they usually were, in my father's office. They shared it but it was usually my father that was using it.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked as I walked in.

My mother nodded and motioned for her to sit beside her on the couch. My father was in his desk chair, looking as serious as ever. They were always serious, even when it was just us and they could have relaxed.

"It's about the... decor." My father said, motioning somewhere outside of the office.

"What?" I asked.

My mother sighed, "You need to take all of your rainbows and things down."

"What?" I asked, my eyes widening in shock.

"We will be hosting the ball this month. It will be held in one week so we would like you to take the rainbows down in every room," my mother said.

I stared at my parents in shock, "Why?"

"We don't need the guests to be bombarded by that sort of thing in every room of the castle," my father said.

"But-"

My father sighed, "Sara, just go do as we say."

I looked down, upset, "Okay."

I walked slowly as I went to the rooms where I had rainbow flags and some pride decorations. None of it was in your face or over the top, I didn't think anyway. I hated that they were making me take it all down.